What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Magnifica Help

Hello - I received these two D. magnifica several years ago when they were first released by BCP. They grew well for a while, but over the past year or two the leaves stopped completely unfurling and turn black. Lately they've stopped producing dew.

Soil is a mix of peat/perlite/sand top watered weekly with RO water. I do not leave them sitting in water. I have them in typical highland conditions, 75F days / 55F nights, humidity 80%+ with bright light. When they were producing dew they caught plenty of fungus gnats.

I'm inclined to think it's a soil and/or watering issue, but I also don't grow many Drosera, so I'm by no means an expert. Any thoughts?

IMG_5268.jpg
IMG_5269.jpg
IMG_5270.jpg
IMG_5271.jpg

Hello - I received these two D. magnifica several years ago when they were first released by BCP. They grew well for a while, but over the past year or two the leaves stopped completely unfurling and turn black. Lately they've stopped producing dew.

Soil is a mix of peat/perlite/sand top watered weekly with RO water. I do not leave them sitting in water. I have them in typical highland conditions, 75F days / 55F nights, humidity 80%+ with bright light. When they were producing dew they caught plenty of fungus gnats.

I'm inclined to think it's a soil and/or watering issue, but I also don't grow many Drosera, so I'm by no means an expert. Any thoughts?

View attachment 9119
View attachment 9120
View attachment 9121
View attachment 9122

Are you having the same trouble with the small ones, or only the two big ones?

The smaller ones are also not completely unfurling. They look about the same as the larger ones to me.
IMG_5274.jpg
IMG_5275.jpg

Hmmm, you have an interesting problem. Your conditions are much better than mine, and we seem to have almost exactly the same problem. In my case, I had assumed that the plants were getting too tall and suffering from a combination of highish temps and low humidity, but now you have me wondering if I have media problems as well. In any event, if I were you, I would do some leaf pullings for backups and then do a transplant into a new, more open potting mix and maybe cut back on the watering a bit and see how thing go.

Back