What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ID ?

I recently got these plants as Drosera tomentosa var. glabrata. While I realize that they are still small, something doesn't look right to me. The lamina seem to be the wrong length and shape for D.tomentosa. Color also seems quite a bit off to me. The largest one is just starting to put up a flower scape and you can see hairs at it's base. The flowers will undoubtedly provide more of a clue once mature but unfortunately, this is I all I have to work with at this time.

Key it out from Fernando Rivadavia, Paulo Minatel Gonella, Paulo Takeo Sano & Andreas Fleischmann's paper: Elucidating the controversial Drosera montana complex (Droseraceae): a taxonomic revision.

I won't reproduce the entire key but assuming that other species have been eliminated:

9. Leaf obovate-cuneate to cuneate with geniculate vernation; apical tentacles conspicuously distinct, in number of 7–12, 4–9 mm long, with head with unifacial gland tip ....... D. tentaculata
- Leaf obovate, oblanceolate, or oblong-spatulate with circinate vernation; apical tentacles inconspicuously distinct, only up to 5 mm long ........ 10
10. Adaxial petiole surface densely eglandular-pilose; sepals ovate to sub-orbicular with rounded (subobtuse) apex, in bud forming a pyramidal projection at the fusion point between adjacent sepals ....... D. spirocalyx
- Adaxial petiole surface glabrous or sparsely eglandular-pilose; sepals oblong-ovate to narrowly-ovate with acute apex, not forming pyramidal projections as described above ....... 11
11. Leaves oblong to oblong-spatulate; petiole 0.2–0.5(–1) mm wide; glandular trichomes of similar length present throughout scape; generally flowering from December to March (rainy season) [also in Bolivia] ....... D. montana
- Leaves obovate to oblong-obovate; petiole 0.4–3.0 mm wide; glandular trichomes absent on the basal third of scape, but dense and larger towards the apex; generally flowering from June to September (dry season) ....... .D. tomentosa (12)
12. Scapes densely eglandular-pilose (villous) on the basal half, decreasing in density towards apex ....... D. tomentosa var. tomentosa
- Scapes exclusively glandular-pilose from base to apex, without notable eglandular indumentum, occasionally also sparsely
eglandular-pilose mostly towards the basal third ....... D. tomentosa var. glabrata

Last edited:
Looking more like Drosera tentaculata every day.

Back