What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera hartmeyerorum

I had a rough time with my hartmeyerorum seeds. Out of a pack of about 50, I had 5 sprouts. 4 of which kicked the bucket shortly after sprouting. 1 of the 4 that died looked like it was going to make it but then croaked.

Here is my last remaining hartmeyerorum and it finally is producing trichomes which I find fascinating.

Here is the lucky survivor...
hartmeyerorum2.jpg

arent you supposed to feed them like mad? or is that D. indica? either way---the plant is looking good! i hope you get seed!

Yes, I believe you are. That is what I did, or at least tried to. Right now I give this one a freeze dried fly about every other leaf.

It's D. hartmeyerorum, but I think the D. indica appreciates food as well! This one looks like it's on the right track.

very nice! i finally am able to barely keep a D. indica alive, so it's always impressive to see a beautiful D. hartemeyerorum doing well for someone.

Thanks. I had better luck with indicia last year. Hartmeyerorum seems to be more difficult IMO while they are seedlings.

I had a few indicia last summer that did well even after I stuck them outside because I mistook them for filliformis. They managed to flower and everthing right next to my flytraps. I was probably just lucky.

I have a harder time with D. hartmeyerorum while D. indica does as well as B. linifora.

Hi dashman!
I have the same experience with d. hartmeyerorum. I had about 20 seeds, half on peat (3 months now and no germination) and the other half on medium, where one germinated 2.5months later and now I see another one germinating as well). I read somewhere that this sundew can germinate during the period of years, in waves, and is known for a very low germination ratio. The plants on the medium are very smalll but doing fine so far. I think while growing she demands lost of supplemented nutrition and warm climate.
Your plant looks very beautiful, congrats! :)

Thanks. Mine sprouted pretty quickly (within a month) and I found as soon as I fed them a little tidbit they grew faster. But then 4 died. Perhaps over feeding? I'm not sure.

I think I used a 3:1 peat/sand mixture.

Back