What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera filiformis “Florida Red” with white flowers

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
27376163494_f93ea1e9a4_z.jpg
[/url]D. filiformis "Florida Red", white flower by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

The leaves on this one seem to be a much darker/deeper red than the typical D. filiformis “Florida Red” (aka “Florida All Red”) in my conditions outside in full sun.

27887565552_55bda621ef_z.jpg
[/url]D. filiformis "Florida Red", white flower form by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Flower comparison with D. filiformis “Florida Red” with typical pink flowers

27376164354_61fcab721b_z.jpg
[/url]D. filiformis "Florida Red", white flower form, and filiformis "Florida Red", pink flower form by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'd heard about this plant before. I love the contrast.

That's neat! I like how the more red plant has the white flowers- too cool :)

Spectacular looking plant!
I hope it grows true from seed.
Will you be selling seed and if so, how much?

Good growing,
Mike

Spectacular looking plant!
I hope it grows true from seed.
Will you be selling seed and if so, how much?

Good growing,
Mike

I have not been able to germinate seed from it so far, think it might need hot stratification. I doubt it will grow true from seed because I believe it is a mutation, so I have not really tried that hard to collect/germinate seed from it.

I say that you take some cuttings and see if they produce white flowers.

DJ57, I PM'ed you.

Good growing,
Mike

Do you know if these require dormancy?

I don't think they require dormancy, but have not been growing them long enough to say that as fact. I think their habits are the same as typical "Florida Red". Some have produced hibernacula in my conditions and some don't, weird. Out of five small plants I left outside over winter, only two survived. The ones I kept in the unheated garage all survived winter with a few forming hibernacula and others kept growing but did slow down.

I've been trying to grow this form from seeds received from the former ICPS seedbank manager, thinking I need to find a way to up the temps to get them to do anything though. As taken from him: this is a form that grows true from seeds, requires some sort of hot stratification to germinate, and though it probably doesn't need a dormancy it will rather readily form hibernacula (ironic since it's the one that has seeds needing heat to germinate).

OMG those are amazing. I lost my filiformis and they are one of my favorite sundews. I would love to trade for some "white form" seeds in the future. I have a few interesting things to offer.

Was it ever passed through an airport x-ray scanner?

That is a truly spectacular looking plant!

Last edited:
Back