What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does my ventrata look ok?

Vbkid

Getting There...
Here is a picture of a large ventrata I got a few months ago, it has been browning some of it's leaves rather quickly, and I just want to see if anyone thinks it looks overly bad. I haven;t seen any pests besides some ants maybe, and I repotted a week or so ago to give it some more room, but am worried it's just gonna die on me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/5737734065/

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,
Kyle

That thing looks like a big green beast to me.....looks fine from what I can see, prolly just needs to settle into it's new pot.

It looks fine to me. If you're concerned about the leaf wearing you can trim off some of the oldest leaves - generally not a bad idea after receiving a new(ish) plant because slow-moving pests like scale might be hitchhiking on older leaves. Did you repot it when you brought it home? If you're sure the media is good and fresh, you can give it a very light dose of orchid or hydroponic fertilizer (a good rule of thumb is 1/4 strength of the weakest dilution listed on the packaging) to help keep it from missing the trimmed leaves.
~Joe

Yea I repotted, lots of old media still on the roots, but it's surrounded by good new stuff. I might just give it some fertilizer then...some of my other neps could use it as well.

Be very gentle at first. Nepenthes are relatively durable in this respect, but over-fertilization can stunt pitcher growth (if they have enough food through fertilizer they won't bother using their energy on pitchers) or lead to shock and even death. Until you know what works for your plants and your potting mix, proceed with caution. I would also suggest reading up on foliar feeding - my understanding is that Neps respond better to foliar feeding than root fertilization, even at lower concentrations of fertilizer. Fertilization, in my opinion, is mostly useful if you want to grow a lot of foliage fast, or if you're doing something that might rob the plant of hard-to-find micronutrients like pruning lots of still-green leaves.
~Joe

My ventrata has done that.
It pretty normal for huge neps to lose older leaves in rapid succession imho.

Back