What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Capensis ever die!

i wonder if you can do the same thing with the slackii and admirabilis how you'd treat a capensis when it grows too tall: decapitate, replant, repeat.

anybody willing to try it out?

Much like the old joke about Keith Richards -- that he cannot be killed by conventional weapons -- the very same is true of Drosera capensis . . .

Anyone ever had capensis sprout from the carpet under their untamed grow rack?

Anyone ever had capensis sprout from the carpet under their untamed grow rack?

yes. but i was too lazy to pick it out. it was growing in a water tray--and so after about a month of persisting, it died.

new question: is there a means by which to create a multi-crowned plant? i kinda want a capensis bush.

Hey amphiron,
I'm not completely sure this will do it, but I've found that when I reeeaaaaly compact down the soil in a pot with my D. capensis (Bainskloof) it started to split into 2 plants at the crown now. The same thing happened with D. oblanceolata and a few others. However, the D. oblanceolata didn't do so hot this summer while I was away and now it is finally coming back, so that could be the reason...

As for my favorite Capensis palm tree photo, I finally found the link again:
http://drosera.dr.funpic.de/album/Drosera_subtropical/slides/Drosera_capensis_giant01.html

What an awesome pic!

As for my favorite Capensis palm tree photo, I finally found the link again:
http://drosera.dr.funpic.de/album/Drosera_subtropical/slides/Drosera_capensis_giant01.html

What an awesome pic!

that is an awesome pic! and exactly what i was going for, except, it'd be cool to have new growth points along the stems, almost like a nepenthes shooting out basals (that's what i meant by a multi-crowned plant, and i think your method will help me get there)

im beginning to think that my capensis is a 'narrowleaf' not a 'typical'.....i guess it will take longer. :p

I'm not an expert and this might have been said, but I think when plants get older the growing tip dies and they start growing from a new point. Plants don't really die because they can reproduce in many ways

And then of course there's Ozzy, who has a D. capensis bog that eats neighborhood pets....

Back