What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow!! Your garden is amazing. Everything looks awesome. Do you have a favorite sarr?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Thank you! I can’t really choose one favorite because it changes throughout the growing season, but I tend to favor sarrs that produce pitchers all season with late season pitchers that remain nice looking through winter. I have a few complex hybrids that hold nice-looking pitchers into the following spring that look like they never experienced a winter dormancy. A couple examples below.

S. [(leucophylla x rubra) x minor Okee giant] x Judith Hindle, photo taken in December.

n6uaz6.jpg

From the same plant, retained fall pitcher in March the following year.
30x8t4l.jpg

Unknown hybrid, retained fall pitcher the following spring
2mwy1le.jpg

S. “Twisted Sister” (‘Judith Hindle’ x “Willow Creek”), Rob Co hybrid from Jerry Addington
34641926273_75468aa568_z.jpg
[/url]Twisted Sister, June 2017 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35411653466_38a75ab896_z.jpg
[/url]Twisted Sister 6-2017 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

34609877874_0b25f14c6e_c.jpg
[/url](Wilkerson's Red x alata Red-Black) x Adrian Slack, Fred P. by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

I love the intricate veining on this hybrid
35411652866_2859cb2ec5_z.jpg
[/url]Unknow hybrid by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35411654616_376092750f_z.jpg
[/url][Judith Hindle x (oreophila x minor)] x Judith Hindle, June 2017 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35411653926_6f4d84f59b_z.jpg
[/url]Tapestry, June 2017 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

34609877754_0150550535_z.jpg
[/url]Tapestry flower by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Poor placement in the bog for ‘Judith Hindle’, too shaded by taller sarrs
35411654246_08e202c388_z.jpg
[/url]Judith Hindle by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

34641926543_33ddd302a2_z.jpg
[/url]Reptilian Rose from Calen, 6-21-2017 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Late flower
35411653966_441629a062_z.jpg
[/url]Red Minor flower by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

34609877814_09fa3c9919_z.jpg
[/url]Developing purp seed pod by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

I didn't know that Sarracenia minor could have red flowers. Interesting.

I didn't know that Sarracenia minor could have red flowers. Interesting.

It's actually a minor hybrid, S. minor x (purpurea x psittacina), labeled Sarracenia x Red Minor. As the pitchers age they turn a deep red color sporting the typical S. minor "windows" (fenestrations) on the back of the hood.

26335530923_78dc04ddc9.jpg
[/url]Sarracenia "Red Minor" by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Last edited:
Oh that makes sense. The deep red color looks really nice. It doesn't look like a hybrid at all!

July photo dump

Da Bog
35967833232_f9d9ac0aa8_z.jpg
[/url]July bog by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35967832132_929cb2fd1f_z.jpg
[/url]July bog 2 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35967831602_55a96fb101_z.jpg
[/url]July bog 3 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

“Twisted Sister”. Thank you Jerry Addington
35329916783_c734262d10_z.jpg
[/url]Twisted Sister by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35329915723_ecdd3d36a8_z.jpg
[/url]Twisted Sister 2 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35297230194_cf00a49102_z.jpg
[/url]Twisted Sister 3 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Thank you John Brittnacher
35297224084_54036af776_z.jpg
[/url]Flava rubricorpora x flava atropurpurea hybrid by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35297223144_66844b5b2a_z.jpg
[/url]Flava rubricorpora x flava atropurp hybrid by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Thank you Calen
35297217824_870ee58f1d_z.jpg
[/url]Catesbaei Georgia from Calen by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35297217024_5e4d92c15a_z.jpg
[/url]Catesbaei Georgia from Calen 2 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Grown from mixed seed
35297196844_f11a3b5e7c_z.jpg
[/url]Unknown hybrid from mixed seed by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35297198574_7cc5882306_z.jpg
[/url]Unknown hybrid from mixed seed 1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

36096859956_3211058269_z.jpg
[/url]Catesbaei by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

From open-pollinated oreophila seed
36096871136_2070a35b7c_z.jpg
[/url]Oreophila OP seed 3 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

36096870386_2d039e77bc_z.jpg
[/url]Oreophila OP seed by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

36096869416_f47efaa630_z.jpg
[/url]Oreophila OP seed 2 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Thank you Jerry Addington
36096857766_203fd1c5e1_z.jpg
[/url][(flava x alata) x Redman] x (purp x Yellow Cat) by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Thank you Fred P.
35297141824_a1f4de8354_z.jpg
[/url]Leah Wilkerson from cutting by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

35297128424_3856f08389_z.jpg
[/url]Hybrid with frog by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Thank you John Brittnacher
35297123364_c53f768010_z.jpg
[/url]Purpurea Montana by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

The colors on that that flava are stunning!

Your twisted sisters look great. The frog sitting on it is pretty cool too.

Wow, spectacular thread. I just love posts like this. Get's me in the mood.

Absolutely gorgeous!! Love twisted sister and all the flytraps. I have an old below ground spa here that I was thinking of converting into a bog garden one day. Thinking it will cost me a fortune to fill it with peat though.... :-( Do you think you will have to replace the planting media in your bog eventually?

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Absolutely gorgeous!! Love twisted sister and all the flytraps. I have an old below ground spa here that I was thinking of converting into a bog garden one day. Thinking it will cost me a fortune to fill it with peat though.... :-( Do you think you will have to replace the planting media in your bog eventually?

Thank you! Except for the funky pitchers, “Twisted Sister” is one of my favorites due to its rich color. It does not seem very vigorous at forming new crowns, but I hope to have divisions to share in the next couple years or so.

I think a below-ground spa would make an excellent bog garden! I have an in-ground preformed 250-gallon fish pond I have considered converting into a bog garden. It took about 4-5 years for the soil in my bog to start breaking down the first time and I re-soiled it in 2015. Yes, it can get expensive filling it with peat and watering can also be an expense depending on your water source. I am fortunate enough to be able to use my city water from the hose (low TDS levels) and only need to water during the late spring through summer months because we get a lot of rain from fall through early spring that keeps the bog sufficiently hydrated. My city water bill does go up a bit during the growing season mainly due to watering the large bog. In hindsight a smaller bog would have been more appropriate for my budget. The rewards have been well worth the expense though :)

Last edited:
I am fortunate enough to be able to use my city water from the hose (low TDS levels) and only need to water during the late spring through summer months because we get a lot of rain from fall through early spring that keeps the bog sufficiently hydrated. My city water bill does go up a bit during the growing season mainly due to watering the large bog. In hindsight a smaller bog would have been more appropriate for my budget. The rewards have been well worth the expense though :)

Out of curiosity, what are your TDS levels? My mini bogs are potted (but not as aesthetic as Rachel8T4's, which I recently drooled over in her post), and I've thought that the plants would really be happier in a larger/cooler in-ground bog situation. I've hesitated because I didn't think my rain barrels could sustain a larger planting area over our dry summers. But, if I could amend with tap water when the barrels ran out...that might be do-able. Our TDS is about 60, but I haven't really charted whether it changes much through the year.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Thank you! Except for the funky pitchers, “Twisted Sister” is one of my favorites due to its rich color. It does not seem very vigorous at forming new crowns, but I hope to have divisions to share in the next couple years or so.

I think a below-ground spa would make an excellent bog garden! I have an in-ground preformed 250-gallon fish pond I have considered converting into a bog garden. It took about 4-5 years for the soil in my bog to start breaking down the first time and I re-soiled it in 2015. Yes, it can get expensive filling it with peat and watering can also be an expense depending on your water source. I am fortunate enough to be able to use my city water from the hose (low TDS levels) and only need to water during the late spring through summer months because we get a lot of rain from fall through early spring that keeps the bog sufficiently hydrated. My city water bill does go up a bit during the growing season mainly due to watering the large bog. In hindsight a smaller bog would have been more appropriate for my budget. The rewards have been well worth the expense though :)

Twisted Sister really is very a beautiful colour! If I could get 5 years out of the media before having to replace it, then I might be able to justify filling up the old spa lol. It would have been there since the 70's or 80's and it's pretty massive. It would call for a hell of a lot of peat and it's about $6 for a small bag at our only garden centre. It's a large oval shape and would look very nice as a bog I think. I have a lot of seeds sown atm so if I get good germination (though I'm not overly confident in that area lol) then I'll have plenty of CPs to plant it out! We do have a little rain water tank, though I think our tap water might be ok as well or at least when need be. The spa is deeper in the centre so would allow for some sort of reservoir tank set up - when I finally get around to doing it i'll have to post some pics and get some input from the forums. I also have an old preformed fish pond that was part of a water feature in the centre of our pool - I think the people that built this house might have been modelling it on the playboy mansion....lol ;)

Out of curiosity, what are your TDS levels? My mini bogs are potted (but not as aesthetic as Rachel8T4's, which I recently drooled over in her post), and I've thought that the plants would really be happier in a larger/cooler in-ground bog situation. I've hesitated because I didn't think my rain barrels could sustain a larger planting area over our dry summers. But, if I could amend with tap water when the barrels ran out...that might be do-able. Our TDS is about 60, but I haven't really charted whether it changes much through the year.

I know right? Rachel’s mini bog is certainly drool worthy!

My tap water TDS fluctuates throughout the year, the highest I have tested I think was 67. I just tested it yesterday and it was 37. A TDS of 60 ppm is not bad for outside pots/bogs that get flushed by rain periodically. I think under 100 ppm is okay for outside plants getting flushed by rain at times throughout the year.

Quality of the peat you use also plays a factor in overall TDS levels as some brands are high in impurities such as salts, so it is good to test that as well before and after rinsing it before use. I soak peat in water in a container for a day or so, then squeeze out enough water to test it with the meter. I have gotten some brands of peat moss (I get it in bales) that test in the 200 to over 300 ppm range! Always a good idea to rinse well soil media such as peat, sand, and perlite before using it.

Twisted Sister really is very a beautiful colour! If I could get 5 years out of the media before having to replace it, then I might be able to justify filling up the old spa lol. It would have been there since the 70's or 80's and it's pretty massive. It would call for a hell of a lot of peat and it's about $6 for a small bag at our only garden centre. It's a large oval shape and would look very nice as a bog I think. I have a lot of seeds sown atm so if I get good germination (though I'm not overly confident in that area lol) then I'll have plenty of CPs to plant it out! We do have a little rain water tank, though I think our tap water might be ok as well or at least when need be. The spa is deeper in the centre so would allow for some sort of reservoir tank set up - when I finally get around to doing it i'll have to post some pics and get some input from the forums. I also have an old preformed fish pond that was part of a water feature in the centre of our pool - I think the people that built this house might have been modelling it on the playboy mansion....lol ;)

I would love to see pics of your bog build when you do it! I think the ICPS website has info on setting up bogs and bog pots, and also a search of the forums I am sure will offer lots of tips. Half whisky barrels also make excellent bog plantings.

I love The short tubby ones! I have a flava kimber X alata cross that looks similar to yours and i just look those two crossed in which way. ;) Your bog is looking beautiful!!

I would love to see pics of your bog build when you do it! I think the ICPS website has info on setting up bogs and bog pots, and also a search of the forums I am sure will offer lots of tips. Half whisky barrels also make excellent bog plantings.

Thanks for the tip I'll check it out - and definitely share pics if it ever happens lol here's hoping it does! Would be a pretty cool project :grin: Barrels would be awesome also! so many possibilities.........I might just have to fill my whole yard.

I know right? Rachel’s mini bog is certainly drool worthy!

My tap water TDS fluctuates throughout the year, the highest I have tested I think was 67. I just tested it yesterday and it was 37. A TDS of 60 ppm is not bad for outside pots/bogs that get flushed by rain periodically. I think under 100 ppm is okay for outside plants getting flushed by rain at times throughout the year.

Quality of the peat you use also plays a factor in overall TDS levels as some brands are high in impurities such as salts, so it is good to test that as well before and after rinsing it before use. I soak peat in water in a container for a day or so, then squeeze out enough water to test it with the meter. I have gotten some brands of peat moss (I get it in bales) that test in the 200 to over 300 ppm range! Always a good idea to rinse well soil media such as peat, sand, and perlite before using it.

Thanks - that's super helpful. Also the reminder to check the peat. I rinsed pretty thoroughly when I started my original planters, but that was before my TDS meter. Might run some water through the existing bogs and check it against what's left in the bale - just out of curiosity.

Back