What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Vivarium completed!

Incase you don't check the greenhouse and terrarium forum I have just finished building this sliding front vivarium:

tankmod14.jpg

tankmod15.jpg

You can read the step by step with photos here if you'd like to try one for yourself.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=951795#post951795

Hope you find it worth your time! :)

Nicely done. So you're plumbing your equipment in through the top, then? What happened to the hole in the top of the stand?
~Joe

Thanks it's so easy to do. I really don't know why these are not readily available to buy. I can't wait to begin planting "through the front"! :)

No change in plans (other than Mist King being out of products due to the holidays). The mist pump and the reservoir for it will still be beneath the tank in the stand. The hose from the pump will come up out of the stand and reach over the tank top. The misting nozzles will go down through a couple holes drilled in the front 1/3 rd of the lid.

The gap in the back lid is adjustable with a few different size straps of plexiglass I have. It's there only to allow for air extraction with the fan that'll be in the lighting canopy - so the tank doesn't stay too warm or too wet. Once it's up and running I'll be able to play with the plexi straps and decide which one to use and how much to close the gap to get the balance of temp/humidity that I want.

I see. What's the ETA on your tank inhabitants? I can't wait to see it up and running.
~Joe

thanks for the last photo i can see how this would work very well for the sliding door , I'll be redoing my front doors after Christmas is over need more funds to buy a temporary, place for my plants, for a few days.
Thank you swords this has been most helpful to me hope everyone else gets as many ideas as i have .

What's the ETA on your tank inhabitants?

There are no scheduled tank inhabitants other than orchids, CPs, ferns, mosses... but if fate hands me another animal then I will be able to house them here by putting screen on the gap in the back. My anole that hatched from a plant pot may get moved to this vivarium so I can turn her large cube tank into a sliding front as well.

Hehe - animals or no, I'm just curious to see it in action. Not that a piece of driftwood in a glass box isn't cool, just... not as dynamic as some of the other potential uses. :D
~Joe

One must have patience grasshopper! :D

Swords, I am constantly impressed by your advice and techniques. This diy pictorial is top notch!
Please, don't stop here, take us through the rest of the project step by step as you have.
I know many will appreciate it greatly.

Thanks Jack, I will be posting some more step by steps projects off and on as I need to construct a few other grow areas during the long cold winter. In spring will come the fun part of starting to order plants to go in the various enclosures. So basically don't expect any real exciting eye candy pics for a while. I'm antsy to start decorating too but winter is here and the plants are there... :(

By the time I get to the orchid show in late January I'll probably go wild at the vendor booths and buy up a buttload of miniature plants. I have to work overtime all of January I'll feel like I owe it to myself! lol

Nicely done swords. I'm glad everything worked out, barring the cuts and scrapes.

Have any pics of your lighting canopy, or have you not finished that piece yet? From the way you talked about it, it sounds custom or at least modified if it contains a fan.

Yes, I haven't put that together yet. It will be a modified canopy, holding a gigantic 125W horticultural twisty CFL and a 4" fan to pull out the hot air. I think that lamp should be good enough I have a 125 that is pre-built into a reflector housing - I don't wanna use that one but it works good as a test.

Back