What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deflasking Drosera hartmeyerorum, A followup

Shadowtski

Supporter
Deflasking Drosera hartmeyerorum, A followup

Two weeks ago I posted about removing Drosera hartmeyerorum from a Tissue Culture flask and potting it up into some live Sphagnum on top of a standard Drosera Peat/Sand mix.

Anyway here is a followup report. It was an unmitigated egregious failure.

I screwed up royally. I don't know what I did but 2 weeks later, all that's left is a puddle of grey and black goo where the plant used to be. The live Sphagnum looks OK. The growing media under that looks OK, no problem. I emailed the seller but don't really expect an answer.

My best guess is that I didn't wash it adequately. I know I washed it several times with several water changes. I soaked it for over 2 hours with 2 additional water changes. Maybe it needed several days rinse time to remove all the agar gel.

Anyone out there ever try Drosera hartmeyerorum from Tissue Culture? Jump in, tell me where I went wrong.

Good growing,
Mike

sorry to here that, good luck next time.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that, Mike. Wish I could chime in with some useful info, but I've never tried TC. When I grow hart., I've always just done so from sown seed.

I have some seedlings but they are growing pretty slowly in spite of feeding them. I was trying to get a jump start on a larger plant by starting with a TC specimen.

Good growing,
Mike

Last edited:
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that you were right. -- and that the plants were inadequately rinsed. It should be done under running water, rather than as a soaking, and thoroughly. They may also have been kept far too wet.

I don't recall whether your plants had any root system to speak of; or whether you were rooting them ex vitro; but some Drosera species are harder sells than others, when it comes to rooting.

I would also suggest that a 2:1 compost of milled sphagnum to sand be used. The processed moss has long been used in preventing damping off disease in seedlings -- which may have been your culprit . . .

Last edited:
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that you were right. -- and that the plants were inadequately rinsed. It should be done under running water, rather than as a soaking, and thoroughly. They may also have been kept far too wet.

I don't recall whether your plants had any root system to speak of; or whether you were rotting them ex vitro; but some Drosera species are harder sells than others, when it comes to rooting.

I would also suggest that a 2:1 compost of milled sphagnum to sand be used. The processed moss has long been used in preventing damping off disease in seedlings -- which may have been your culprit . . .

Thank you. Next time I will rinse them under running water. How long of a rinse do you recommend?

There were no roots, just a lump of callus on the bottom. I'll use your media mix next time. I had the media in a peat-pot. It sat in just 1/8 inch - 1/4 inch of distilled water. Next time I won't have any water in the bottom of the humidity chamber.

I had a 1/4 inch layer of Live Sphagnum Moss that I stuck the plant into. I was counting on that to keep out mold, rot, and nasties.

I wonder if the fact that Drosera hartmeyerorum (D. indica complex) is an Annual Plant and doesn't usually propagate from cuttings makes it difficult to root?

Thank you for your feedback and good growing,
Mike

"whether you were rotting them ex vitro"?? Freudian slip? ???

Last edited:
Duplicate

Last edited:
Back