What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. graomogolensis

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Been a while since I posted a picture of this.
Last fall it was much more red in color. Recently it has put on quite a bit of new growth, maybe it will color up again in time?
JMatt

dsc05360se.jpg

WOW.....those suckers look fantastic! :-O

What soil are they potted in? LFS?

CANNOT WAIT TILL MINE GET THAT BIG!

seriously!? what is up with all your plants? stop making them all look like show specimens!

Thanks!
I planted it a few years ago in just long fiber sphagnum moss and chunky perlite.
It's in a deep pot, it has very long roots.
JMatt

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

LOL thanks!
I don't know about that! Show plants!
We do have the very big ICPS conference coming here 8-2012, so I'm on a mission to get everything I can looking as good as it can. I have a lot of work ahead, especially for my cephs.
JMatt

Mine grows on the windowsill in the winter and outdoors during the summer. It tends to lose color during the winter.

Start propagating those puppies so you'll have plenty to sell at the conference.

Here is another quick shot of the plants in the tank I grow them in.
I grow them in the basement, never tried to grow them outdoors.
I have been making divisions, two are in this picture and two my brother has.
I always thought this plant didn't appreciate heat, so I have always kept it in the basement where it stays cool. Maybe I should try one outdoors for the summer?
The sundew with the flower scape is not the same thing. I'd have to check what that one is, might be D. villosa?
JMatt

dsc05362u.jpg

Jeff,
Beautifully grown mate...

Butch

Av8tor1, I owe it all to you dude!
I can't thank you enough! Such an awesome sundew!
Three of them did send up flower spikes, but aborted.
Not sure why? They got to about 5 inches tall and just sat there for months?
Maybe next time.
JMatt

mine did the same thing.... must be missing some needed nutrient

mine almost opened...almost, i could just bearly see the pinkish color of the petals, but it never went any further

D. villosa looks a bit like D. capensis.

I don't know what their upper heat tolerence is, but as long as they get a good temperature drop at night I think they are happy. I wouldn't expose them to temperatures below the high 40sF either. I'll run some tests with some of my clones since I have plenty (until I give or trade them away).

My D. roraimae flowers would always abort. I don't know what they want to be happy. Doesn't matter since the plants croaked.

@NaN: hrm..... at what temps are you growing/did you grow D. roraimae in? the fact that it dies on you puzzles me, since it was the most plentiful Drosera represented during my trip. from what i could tell, it didnt have that many demands as it would grow in mud/peat, as well in moss and lithophytically, and sometimes even epiphytically! maybe solid highland conditions are necessary? high humidity? could you provide more information?

sorry for going off tangent!

@NaN: hrm..... at what temps are you growing/did you grow D. roraimae in? the fact that it dies on you puzzles me, since it was the most plentiful Drosera represented during my trip. from what i could tell, it didnt have that many demands as it would grow in mud/peat, as well in moss and lithophytically, and sometimes even epiphytically! maybe solid highland conditions are necessary? high humidity? could you provide more information?

sorry for going off tangent!

And amphirion, if you recall, it was growing all over the lowland as well (constant 80+ there) though really looked the best on the top of Roraima.

you mean the brochinnia site? yeah....but not as many, i think D. felix dominated the LL areas....especially that first site.

and hey...dont you have pictures to post? ;)

They don't seem to like it if the temperatures dropped below 46F. I left them out a little too long in the fall. My D. villosa got hit by the same cold snap and has been struggling since. Spot and Stewart said the temperatures on some of the tepuis can go from the low 100s in the day to the 30s F at night. The temperatures on Gran Sabana are a bit more constant though.

I had plants labeled as D. roraimae, D. roraimae "Gran Sabana", and D. roraimae "Cero Adaua" small rosettes. The "Cero Adaua" was more cold tolerant than the others (makes sense if from a tepui). D. graminifolia doesn't mind temperatures in the high 30sF at all.

That's why I caution not to expose your D. graomogolensis to anything lower than high 40sF until I find out what they will tolerate.

that's really amazing that while they are all the same species, each population has their own set of preferences! shows how important location data for plants really is! almost the same thing with varying nephrophylla and humboldtii clones!

My graomo is a trooper - handling warmer & cooler temps w/o a blip (I don't know about low 40's tho...). Otoh - I grew D. villosa from seed and it was the most frustrating species of CP I've ever tried to grow (or at least - one of the most). I couldn't dial in conditions to consistently make them happy - no matter what I did ... :censor:

Outdoor vs indoor. Outdoor grown Drosera always look a little bedraggled from wind effects on the dew. If you want show plants grow them protected from the wind (indoors or greenhouse).
P4290056.jpg

P4290054.jpg

PB120100.jpg

P3040036.jpg

D. villosa in its glory days:
P8260057.jpg

D. roraimae "Cero Adaua" this one doesn't seem to form the enormous stems as shown in Stewart McPherson's "Glistening Carnivores"
P3130044.jpg

D. roraimae "Gran Sabana"
PC220018.jpg

D. roraimae (the first to go, doesn't look happy even here)
P8260060.jpg

After cold exposure they'll hang on for almost a year, putting out stunted leaves, no dew - maybe appear to be recovering then expire :( I tried putting them in my tropical tank or just covering them under lights - didn't seem to help.

Last edited:
Beautiful plants!

the stems will develop over time ;)
makes you wonder how old some of those specimens on the mountain REALLY are....

Back