What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata mysteries

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I'm wondering if D. multifida's powers of resurrection are anything like D. capensis. Over spring break I accidentally left my multifida over in my parents house. My mother has something of a black thumb so I'm not sure to what conditions the plant was exposed. I do know that she put it out once it became consistently warm again, and that she had used distilled water under strict instructions from myself. Today I came home to find the plant mostly dead aside from one small stalk already in the process of dying. The sun has been strong lately and the top of the soil was a tad crispy (although my mother insists she had filled the water tray to at least 3 inches not 2 days ago). So, What I need to know is that is there a possibility of growth coming back or is my plant well and truly gone?

On a related note, my D. binatas seem to keep declining more and more with each passing dormancy. I use the fridge method with fungicide, and every year they come back fewer and less vigorous. What's going on?

D. binata doesn't need dormancy at all. I don't know who told you to put yours in the fridge, but that's totally unnecessary. I'm somewhat surprised that they've survived repeated stays in the fridge like that. Just bring them inside in the winter and keep them well lit, and they shouldn't really go dormant. They may slow down a little if you reduce the temps or photoperiod, but they are semi-tropical and do not need a cold or dry dormancy. Best luck!
~Joe

Well, that explains THAT. I was told multifida didn't need dormancy, but that binata did o_O

Actually, it depends on the form. I had one that did form a hibernacula, and it went into dormancy, came out, and flowered. Yours may not need a dormancy. If it begins to die off near winter, then it prolly needs one.

-Ben

Let me clarify. Some forms do stop growing and form hibernacula, particularly if they're exposed to seasonal variation in temperature and day length. However, they don't need different care during this time. They do just fine in a water tray in normal temperature and light conditions. Also, this dormancy is usually fairly brief - for me it lasts less than four weeks.
~Joe

D. binata is indeed a tough plant! I tried keeping my straight up binata in the coldish attic for the winter and they went dormant. In February, I saw new growth emerge and now have their bucket of minibog outside. I also have Marston Dragon x Multifida Extrema and they went dormant on a window sill and also have re-emerged. Light is more the issue than temperature. In neither case have I used fungicide or fridge - just cooler conditions, and always at a window sill. The photoperiod is what signalled the dormancy (or slowing down) and the re-emergence.

well, the reason I use fridge dormancy for all my plants is that VA winters are insanely unpredictable. This last winter was a rollercoaster of temperatures, and since I grow in relatively small pots I fear the plants freezing completely on colder nights. The only ones I let weather their dormancies outdoors were my S. purp and S. 'dixie lace'. Predicting the weather here is, at best, a crapshoot, so I tend to air on the side of caution when it comes to dormancy. That said, temperature paranoia also means I have to bring them out later. In fact I just finished potting up the last plants, some Leucos and an S. 'Judith Hindle' not 5 minutes ago

Just bring D. binata indoors when the temps start to go wonky. They can do pretty well with fairly low light - a bright windowsill is more than enough to keep them happy through the cold season.
~Joe

well, I still need my initial question answered: will they (binatas and multifida) resurrect? I've had them both outside for atl east a wekk now (the multifida longer) with water and full sun and still no sign of new growth.

I'd treat them more like new plants and move them to bright indirect sun until they show signs of recovering.

Yeah, they won't need direct sun to wake back up... best give them gentle light to reduce strain. Be sure to wait at least a month or two before deciding to give up on them; even dead plants may regenerate from their roots. Best luck.
~Joe

then it's the fluorescent bulb for them! :p

Thanks for the help everyone

Oh yeah, hit them with some Superthrive if you can find it. Most garden centers carry it. Or you can just get some B-vitamin supplements and dissolve a little in some RO water.
~Joe

Cynic

The will resurrect just fine. I leave all my binata clade plants outside all year. we often get nights below freezing and on rare occasions get hard freezes (below 20F). I have not lost a plant yet and they come back hard and strong in spring. Right now my pots are actually about to burst with all the new growth in them. Yours should be fine.

Back