What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata forking more than once?

U

Unregistered

Hello all,

Quick question on D. binata for those with more experience growing it than I have had. Just how often does it branch into more than 2 points (in my case four)? I ask because I went on vacation and there were two rather sizable single forkings, growing well and looking great, lots of dew. I came back and found those dead and, ever since, it has continued to push up leaves with four points, each one larger than the one before. It is presently making my Dichotoma Giant look rather shabby, so I'm not 100% sure what I have here. :poke:

I have long heard of D. binata having more than one forking, but I'm not sure that I've heard it being or becoming a regular occurrence. Should I be concerned about mislabeling if the plant continues to put up only four pointed leaves? It's not a big deal, in fact it's pretty cool, but I just figured at some point I'd see a regular old two pronged leaf but so far no luck. ???

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a thread about these guys somewhere, gotta find it. Basically there are alot of differences in D. binata as a group and where they are from etc.. Just enjoy the branches and watch them keep splitting into more forks. I'll see if I can't find the other post for ya !

There's a thread about these guys somewhere, gotta find it. Basically there are alot of differences in D. binata as a group and where they are from etc.. Just enjoy the branches and watch them keep splitting into more forks. I'll see if I can't find the other post for ya !

Oh I realize that, I have several varieties of the forked sundew floating around my collection, but this one in particular was -supposed- to have been the single forking D. binata, not the multifida or anything of the sort. What I am keenly interested in is just how often people observe that particular D. binata, the single forked type, splitting off into two forkings (4 points).

I basically thought it was a freak occurrence but now I am finding that it is consistently splitting this way, so I wonder if I have an incorrectly labeled plant or if D. binata does have this behavior. Does that make more sense? Sorry if I've confused anyone with my original posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wondered why they called it T form instead of Y form.

If it's not the "T" form and is starting to fork all the time then it's something else :) They all start out looking the same until they get old enough.

Back