What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Hello, how are you doing?

How easy is the D. binata complex as a whole, like dichotoma, var. extrema and all of that to grow? I want to grow it outside, I have a few tropical Drosera thriving in my climate outside...

Here is my climate...

Nighttime Temps: 60-70F

Nighttime Humidity: 65%+ (goes from 65% even up to 100%)

Daytime Temps: The cool summer subtype (Köppen: Dfb) lies north of the warm summer subtype; in North America, from about 44°N to 50°N in the east but places of adequate precipitation as far north as 54°N in the Canadian Prairie Provinces and below 40°N in the high Appalachians, separated by the 22°C isotherm for the warmest month from the Dfa climates (which passes near Minneapolis, Minnesota and Grand Rapids, Michigan).Summer temperatures in this zone are usually between 70 F and 85 F during the daytime. - Wikipedia

Daytime Humidity: During the spring it's warm and dry in the air, in late Spring it's hot and dry, about now it starts to get hot and wet out, for instance, on Monday it will be 90F temps and near 100% humidity. Usually it's hot and wet around here in Summer and just plain humid and warm in Fall, however, occasionally it can be dry and humid in the day in the summer but about 70% of the time it's hot and wet in the air, I didn't discover this until now and I saw the humid weather forecast. Eek...

Pot: 5-8 inch pot maybe more

Media: 2 parts Sphagnum peat to 1 part sand to 1 part perlite. Or I could do 1:1:1.

I'm interested in getting one, so can someone please help? I'm mainly worried about the humidity really, how much sunlight do they like? Partial sun? Bright shade? Is full sun okay? I have a few tropical Sundews that are thriving and have nice amounts of dew in my climate outside in full sun with no special treatment, but, I'd like to know about the entire D. binata complex. I'm extremely sorry I'm asking, I Googled it and looked on Barry's site but could not find any specific cultivation info.

What's confusing to me is in Peter D'Amato's "The Savage Garden" he has D. binata growing on a sunny porch in a pot in California where the climate is Mediterranean (as CC is 50 miles North of San Francisco and San Francisco has a Mediterranean climate) and Mediterranean climates are dry according to Wikipedia. Yet, people say that all Sundews need humidity and then no mentions of it with the Binata complex but it is shown growing in California in Peter D'Amato's book.

Man, I'm extremely confused.

Thanks much!

~Sam

P.S. It says my climate in the US climate thingermabobber is "Humid Continental" hot humid summers and long cold winters.

That doesn't tell me exactly if it does good in my climate...

Needs sun more than humidity. Humidity is overrated. Stick it somewhere sunny or outside.

xvart.

Indeed. I have a porch with direct sun most of the day and ambient light the rest, then it gets humid at night even if the day was dry, but, nowadays in summer we get 75-90F temps and it gets pretty humid.

I think if I got one it'd do okay... but, please help out if you can!

It tells you enough to do a little research on the climate of it's growing range:

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/silo/temp_maps.cgi - you can get data down to specific towns etc.
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/ - do a quick search on "Drosera", find the species you're interested in and see the location maps. Overlay that with the above climate maps. And walla! you know the temps, rainfall and humidity for where they grow.

Temperate species is really all you need to know.

Oh... I'm sorry NoN... :(.

According to the website you gave me (thank you!) it grows near Albany, West Australia, which has a Mediterranean climate, which has warm dry summers and cool winters.

So it should do good even in lower humidity apparently... but, I've been wrong before since I'm pretty stupid when it comes to analyzing things.

Since it grows near Perth as well in the Meditteranean climate here is what Wikipedia said about Perth in the Mediterranean Climate article...

"Perth, Australia has what might be regarded as a typical Mediterranean climate. Hot, dry summers (an average daily maximum temperature is 30°C/86°F, with 34 mm/1.33 inches of rain in December-February,[1]) and cool, wet winters (an average daily minimum of 8°C/46°F and 450 mm/17.7 inches of rainfall in June-August.[2])."

I'm supposing humidity isn't terribly important then?

my binata and multifida extrema are both outside, full sun, flowering, and very red :) i plan to send them both through dormancy.

I have straight up binata on the front porch, with mostly East and South exposure. They're growing like a weed! I also have a Marston Dragon x Multifida Extrema on the kitche sill, South exposure, screen window. The plant is now sending up a scape. I just water 'em!

Back