What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. aliciae or D. admirabilis?

Tacks

The sticky ones are my favorite.
Got this plant at the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society meeting raffle. Didn't have a tag. Click images for huge resolution:

Also these guys were growing in the pot along with it – any thoughts?

Thanks!

Just lift up the leaves and look at the undersides. If they are hairy it's D. aliciae. If it is mostly glabrous than it is D. admirabilis or D. cuneifolia. The flowers and seeds that are coming up will tell you a lot too.

The hitch-hikers might be D. venusta.

D. aliciae
IMGP8062copy_zps6fcc30f1.jpg

vs
D. admirabilis
IMGP4205copy_zps717b708c.jpg

Last edited:
looking at it, definitely not admirabillis. looks more like an aliceae.

Looks like it's D. aliciae then. It's got the hairs. Thanks a lot!

I agree that the first one is D. aliciae. The second one looks like D. tokaiensis to me.

oh yeah this is the exact same response I got when I asked someone to identify it

Cool! I am liking it – I wish the dew production was a bit more robust, but I did just re-pot it, so it may still be getting comfortable. And it's sending up a flower stalk! I guess it must be relatively happy at least.

Also it's cool that I got a pygmy in the bargain! I've thought about getting pygmies, but it looks like one just fell into my lap! Where do you live in the Bay? I'm up in Richmond, near the El Cerrito del Norte BART. We could geek out on plants together.

The bigger hitchhikers may be tokaiensis, but they also do remind me of short forms (maybe still young?) of D. collinsiae.

I am in palo alto

Back