What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cult lens fun

So I finally have some appropriate pictures to post!

These two were taken with an old 50mm f/1.8 lens that came with a film camera for school.

I used 48mm of extension tubes total to make it into a macro lens, and it worked exceptionally well. I'm really happy with the results. It has more magnification than my actual macro lens!

These pictures are completely "Natural". :p No editing at all (Usually I would brighten them up a bit. . .)
8129872741_3e691d7cc6_c.jpg
8129871289_2e8de72fbd_c.jpg

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:
Iz dat da regia? If it is, it is lookin goooood!

Was it an old Nikon lens? I've got an oldy olympus 50mm I've been wanting to convert into a macro for myself, but I can't seem to find an adapter.

Those pics look good, very good.

oops double tap LOL

ohhhhhh gotta love that vintage lens look

Was it an old Nikon lens? I've got an oldy olympus 50mm I've been wanting to convert into a macro for myself, but I can't seem to find an adapter.

Thanks.

Yup, that's the regia. It looks huge in the pic but it's roughly two inches tall. :p

I couldn't find the exact lens anywhere online, but I know it's old. Around 1980's.

*edit*

Here's one more taken today! This one has sharpening, a very small amount of cropping on the bottom, and some other adjustments.
8131705863_f88f6cb1d8_c.jpg

Last edited:

Send the Olympus lens to me!!!!! It's easy to find an adapter for my camera.

And here's another. . . :p This time I just used the 12 mm extension.

8139536641_8785dbd60b_c.jpg

2013 TF calendar submission image
cal_group.jpg

Vintage Vivitar 28mm Close focus

Last edited:
Beautiful image, Av. Love the colours.

By the way, I bought the 58mm helios you recommended, as well as an adapter. I can't wait!

ohhh you will love it, buttery smooth bokeh and vibrant colour.... a poor man's zeiss

Lester Dine (Kiron) 105mm f/2.8 macro
IMGP8467.jpg

IMGP8505.jpg

Last edited:
sweet.... that is your dental lens iirc

Wow - insane pics! NaN's butterfly, Av's Heli's & then Devon's crazy dew --- major:0o:

--->--->---> :hail: <---<---<---

Wow - insane pics! NaN's butterfly, Av's Heli's & then Devon's crazy dew --- major:0o:

--->--->---> :hail: <---<---<---

come on in Ron, water if fine.....

havent you taken the dslr plunge yet????

Was at a photo expo yesterday and I brought along my 135mm. They had some studio lit birds of prey as advertisement for their lighting selections. So I took some shots of those.

Owl:
DSC_0087.jpg

Peregrine falcon:
DSC_0008.jpg

Another owl:
DSC_0187.jpg

I also got to try this beast out at the sigma booth. The $30000 200-500mm. Really amazing lens. The autofocus was insanely fast, and the electrical assist on the zoom and focus was amazing:

DSC_0192.jpg

I also got to try this beast out at the sigma booth. The $30000 200-500mm. Really amazing lens. The autofocus was insanely fast, and the electrical assist on the zoom and focus was amazing:

Can't go wrong at that price unless you're car shopping.

I finally got my adapter so I can use my new helios!

I got the 44-2 M42 58mm f/2, recommended by Butch. (Thanks for the help choosing my first Russian lens. :-D )
Here are a couple of quickies that actually turned out really nicely after a bit of re-touching in CS5.
8253225925_365e4ca92f_b.jpg

This one is a little blurrier, but it at least looks pretty sharp at 800 x 573. :p
8253228311_982055fba1_c.jpg

I can't wait to use this lens more tomorrow. I want to try to get that neat swirled bokeh effect the lens is apparently known for.

Sorry for the double post.

I managed to get one kind of swirly bokeh effect. It's find it very hard to do! The aperture has to be opened a lot, which makes everything such a shallow dof, which makes it harder to focus.
8255677934_0a6ed6b5c0_b.jpg

Cool shots Devon, really like the swirledness (don't think that's a word but it fits here ;) ) in the last photo!

Back