What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cult lens fun

WOW! Incredible shots, Butch! The maple leaves and spider web are my favourites.

@Mass: :-D Thanks!!

Another succulent of some sort. Lester Dine (Kiron) 105mm f/2.8 macro
IMGP5197.jpg

IMGP5204.jpg

IMGP5161.jpg

This one needed a touch of fill flash but since I was on the way out no time to get the flash unit.

Portulaca grandiflora or moss rose?

Nice bokeh Dr. Butch!

BTW, since I have not had a chance to talk to you in chat lately. Your Heli mix is miracle juice! They are growing super well and super quick! Can't believe how easy they are being compared to my last try... Thanks for all the advice you gave me!

Was meandering through the thread admiring the pics & reading about some of the old lenses when I came across Butch's post:
I loved this lens when I saw what Crissy was doing with hers....
Not sure when it was made, guessing 1970's-1980's

Vivitar 28mm Close focus OM mount
(Komine Co. Ltd mfg.)
I thought - hmmmm - I have a Vivitar 28mm for my old Olympus cameras. Did a bit of research and found this review & a comment from the review:
Over at Denis' Photography Pages the author has a page dedicated to Vivitar Lenses. He writes: "A very fast wideangle lens, especially for its day (1970's), of excellent quality. Highly sought after, it is a hard lens to find."
Reading the actual review itself, I wasn't all that impressed, although it was a very interesting throw-back in time to read about one of my lenses. Given the large number of Vivitar 28 mm lenses out there, I'm guessing that this internal-focusing, fairly huge beast of a 28mm isn't the one you have - eh Butch?

Interestingly, while I was looking around at lens info, I decided to check out the reviews on my 400mm Sigma APO. While I was hoping for at least similar news to the Vivitar 28mm --- not. The lens is known to fog up on the internal elements (lubricant condensation - virtually impossible to repair) - basically a piece of trash. Major bummer. :headwall:

On the pics .....
Really like the last pic's composition and creative use of focus to draw the viewer's eye to the primary subject matter in the lower right corner but not until some time is spent perusing the rest of the pic. Kudo's! :hail:

.... as well as this one - very visually striking. It grabbed my eye & wouldn't let it go until I had wandered around the pic multiple times - interesting & intriguing...
web_hf.jpg

I'm really enjoying the renaissance of quality photography that seems to be happening on Terra. Folks are getting new camera systems. learning how to use them and taking some very impressive photos - lots of threads with lots of quality & creativity. It's all very much appreciated!! Thanks & keep it up to everyone who is pushing the envelope ... :hail: :bigthumpup: :awesome:

Last edited:
Ron,

There is a mulitude of various 28mm Vivitars. The really special one has the term "Close Focus" written on it. Its number will also have a 28 prefix (Komine mfg).

vivi28.jpg

Here is a link

Thank you for the kind words old friend, I am both humbled by them and feel the need to hide the rest of the beer from ya :)

Peat,

Thanks mate.... the Jupiter 9 has 15 Iris blades, its Bokehlicious :)

Last edited:
So my grandad just gave me his old Olympus OMPC film camera, got another post on that later... But it came with a 50mm and 100mm zoom lens. Hoping to get those set up with my Nikon along with the Olympus to play around with some lenses that are older than I am... Hoping I can get an adapter to fit them.

The zoom is actually 135mm and it looks as though I won out with a really high quality lens... It is a Suntar auto f2.8 135mm lens. The only sample photos I found are a bit down this post here:

http://www.digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?24940-135mm-lenses&p=663993#post663993

His is not the "auto" version and that may play in. It has eight blades, don't know how that compares to my kit lenses and is of the M42 mount type. I think...

Does anyone own this lens or know anything about it?

*Edit* not a zoom lens, sorry. Brain fart!

If it's an M42 screwmount then you should be able to buy an adapter for just about any DSLR made. As long as you camera has a stop-down metering mode you should be able to use it. If it doesn't do stop down metering you have to use full manual mode and use a hand-held exposure meter.

I have gotten quite good at establishing what shutter speed to use with what aperture depending on the lighting. I usually shoot full manuel and don't ever meter.

I'd like to thank the posters to this thread for getting me hooked on vintage lenses :)
I've been hitting up ebay, and started a little collection.
lenses.JPG

First one is a Soligor 350mm f/5.6, surprisingly good lens.
2nd is Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8, as recomended by this thread.:bigthumpup:
3rd Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8, they don't make them like these any more. The heft and build is incredible.
4th Panagor 90mm f/2.8, my boss has a $1200 nikkor macro, and this lens is just as sharp.
5th Sakar 135mm f/2.8, haven't used this one much yet.
6th Nikkor AF 24-50mm f/3.3, got this one for famliy gatherings. I was finding I was missing focus sometimes with the vivitar 28-90mm, but I think I prefer the vivitar.
Last is a Nikkor TC-200 2x tele-conveter. I use this with the 350mm and the 90mm macro.

A manual lens really teaches you how to use your camera, I love it:banana2:

d.anglica flower with Vivitar 70-210mm
dangelicaflower.jpg

Here's a few from a Jupiter-9 85mm. Love the unique bokeh it produces, it's blade happy after all with 15 of them. This lens seems to give a bit of the 3D effect that's talked about with certain Zeiss lenses (it's a Zeiss copy). Sadly this isn't my lens, but I shall have one one day :D.

IMG_3591.jpg

cosmos.jpg

buttons.jpg

susan.jpg

beau-3.jpg

Astroidea,

Isn't it amazing how lenses seem to multiply.... LOL
I have a curio cabinet shelf dedicated to vintage lenses now, complete with desiccant bags.
(Crissy and Warren are a bad influence hehehehe):p

Crissy,

Awesome pics!
IMHO, several of the vintage Soviet/Russian lenses are easily some of the best bang for the buck out there.
But you are the one that taught me that huh :)
My Jupiter 9 is one of my favorite lenses now..... it's awesome.

Caveat emptor, there are several versions of the J9 and decades of production runs.....

Last edited:
Beautiful pics!

I thought I would bring this thread back, since I got a new camera. :-D

I got a Nikon D7000, and in these two pics I used the Nikon 60mm AF-S Micro lens.

It took me quite a while to save for this camera, and I definitely think it was worth it. I'm starting to get used to it now but I still need my tripod back. . .

Even with high iso, it takes great quality pics:
7691502078_6c1e564323_b.jpg

7691508412_f51a493394_b.jpg

My strange kitty. Only thing that bothers me is the right eye.
7682350178_d01f310d66_c.jpg
7692382652_4e43bb28e9_c.jpg

*edit*

I fixed the kitty picture with photoshop.

Last edited:
Shot with my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/4 macro lens (screw mount). Highest reproduction is 1:2 without a tube so I couldn't get any closer:

Halictid bee - had a metallic green color that didn't capture in the shots.
IMGP7292.jpg

IMGP7299.jpg

IMGP7304.jpg

So there are native bees around, why don't they pollinate my Sarracenia or Darlingtonia for me?

Someday, Nikon macro lenses are gonna be cultish. Best glass you can get for Nikons, and the bokeh is great...

Love the photos crystal! That dog is cute!

I really need to buy a lens adapter. Hopefully tomorrow. Should have it for ICPS.

Devon, clean your kitty's eyes! It has crud... Also, buy the poor thing a wig...

Back