What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Killi Tank

Here's my big planted tank;

oda1r.jpg

Crowded, huh ?

That's not the best part though. Here is the crazy part, the species inside:

Adults

A. Joergenscheeli
D. Fulgens
D. Cyanostictum
D. Georgiae
Fp. Gardneri 'Mamfensis'

Juvies/Fry (the ones I've seen yet)

D. Cyanostictum
D. Georgiae
A. Elberti
A. Bualanum (arguably Elberti, but still in use)
A. Halleri
A. Australe 'Chocolate'
A. Ocellatum
A. Lineatus

Plants

Aldrovanda
U. Graminifolia
U. Gibba
Java Moss
Java Fern
Salvinia Natans
Pistia
Water Hyacinth (still battling spider mites!)
Lemna Minor
Najas sp
Syngonium
Papyrus Plant
Hoya Carnosa
Begonis sp.
Monstera Deliciosa
...and a few more whose names I can't remember.

You won't believe it perhaps, but it works. I wouldn't keep them together if I observed the slightest damage to the fish as there are some very valuable species inside.
Joergenscheeli male has a territory in the back which he won't let anyone come in. Gardneri males tend to get aggressive and chase others away but nothing serious. All others seem to get along peacefully.
I think it works because they were put together at a young age and have grown up together; not to mention the fact that the tank is stuffed with plants, leaves and a large branch.

Only downside is that it's very difficult to take photos as it's completely dependant on sunlight. It's a southeastern window.

Keeping R. Xiphidius and Sjoestedti also but in different tanks. I didn't want to put Xiphidius inside the big one as they don't like deep-ish water and they would get lost totally.
Sjoestedti as you know is just too big and too aggressive.

Expecting to update in the following weeks with hopefully a few pics of the fancy residents. Cheers from Istanbul -

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Very lucky today, D. Georgiae and Joergenscheeli male in the same photo.
As you would imagine, Joergenscheeli was busy scaring everyone away and here you see Georgiae a little upset and flaring;

dijo.jpg

I love Panchax!

Awesome Killi tank! And yeah, that is kinda crazy how they all co-habitate, but as you suggest, probably is because they were raised together. Good job!

I know right, if someone told me this, I'd think they are clueless or kidding...I managed to breed Cyanos and Georgiae but still nothing from Fulgens or Joergenscheeli. Now that it's quite cold outside, I'm going to give them another try.

Took out some lemna minor today, some guys were curious;

joergen1.jpg

diapteron1.jpg

That is awesome!! A. elberti/bualanum are probably my favorite killie.............owned a few a couple decades back but I don't have any killies now. That is one species I would like to own again someday.

Love your tank and setup!

Good job on keeping Diapterons happy....not always the easiest task. Are you concerned about them hybridizing?

Hey you :)
I am not concerned as no fish in this tank is for sale/share. I myself am actually curious to see how they would hybridize, I would love that. I know Cyanostictum and Georgiae live together in the wild although that is the Yekara population and I don't have that; but still, I think there's a high chance others meet in nature as well. It's very interesting; when you look at diapterons, they all look the same really, same color palette, just placed differently. I haven't seen Abacinum yet, though.
On a side note; I found them to be peaceful and rather easy. I thought I would lose them come summer; but Joergenscheeli was the problem baby, not them. Fulgens was problematic as well, but Georgiae and Cyanostictum are certainly very sturdy.

I love Elberti too, woodnative :) Lovely little shy fish, one of the peaceful ones in my tank. Those are not adults yet, still juvies but pretty colorful.

Amazing tank and amazing fish! :hail:

thats an amazing tank. killis are going in the vivarium im building right now. whats your water flow like?

Hey guys, tank still going strong but took out a few plant species (such as the monstrous monstera) and cleared things up a bit both in water and out of it. Begonia is showing off these days so wanted to update with her piccie. Papyrus has flowered as well, she's too tall for me now, reaching up almost to the ceiling.

Hazed, as I mentioned in the pm, there's no water flow at the moment. There was an Eheim running but water flow was minimal due to the residue in the hose and the cloth covering the filter's mouth (to protect the fry); so just unplugged it. I still do water changes but once a month or so; the water is sparkly clean thanks to the fast growing plant species.

begk.jpg

Was surprised to see a Cyanostictum baby today. There is really nothing that can match a diapteron's beauty, it's unrivalled.

cyanos.jpg

i just got a couple of killifish, Aplocheilus Lineatus, i like that they swim at the top of the water with their shovel-shaped heads.
I would be thrilled to see more pictures of your terrariums / enviroment.
whats that tank on the windowsill? view from your apartment? :] etc

argh, lineatus...gorgeous fish but aggressive, a glutton and breeds too much. i gave away my pair months ago and still find their babies here and there. if it's your first time beware, it's not a good community fish.

took a few piccies for you.
this is the southern room. the sun rises from the left of the windows travelling right. the tank is facing south so it receives the most direct light before the sun is blocked by the room wall.
this room is for plants only so the balcony door is open 24/7. they are getting a good temp. drop at night and air flow.
here u see begonia sp, syngonium, papyrus plants, d regia, n ventrata, n maxima, hoya carnosa...etc. any nepenthes and drosera you see in this room is only here for the winter, they are out on the balcony come spring.
(moved monstera as she needed more space)
ev01.jpg

can you spot the cat ? :p the mini terrarium is for d glanduligera seeds. no germination yet. the other one is a cephalotus german giant and d prolifera,
ev14.jpg

a few drosophyllums for experimental reasons, albomarginata, seedlings of VFT and drosera...etc
ev02.jpg

view from the southern room as you asked,
ev04.jpg

a few shots of the tank. the only downside is it's very difficult to take photos because of the light and reflection. it's mostly dead leaves and roots of the papyrus plant inside. the water is very clean. i will try again on a cloudy day with flash.
ev11.jpg

ev12t.jpg

my valuable south balcony! receives about 8+ hours of direct sunlight in summer. mostly cacti, succulents, aroids and CPs here. any sun loving plant goes here, including nepenthes but those are shaded.
ev03.jpg

back corner where the old girls reside, i love this bunch.
ev13a.jpg

seedling/juvenile and recovery terrarium. i will take all nepenthes out come spring and let them adapt to my climate if they can (i don't like terrariums),
vft seedlings, a few utrics, p gigantea, d regia seedlings, sibuyanensis, truncata queen x king, maxima, veitchii, truncata x ventricosa...etc
ev05.jpg

other end,
ev06.jpg

main drosophyllum room. facing southwest,
ev07.jpg

northwest room, using this side for ferns and low light plants;
ev08.jpg

the other southwest room. using this for seedlings and recovering/young nepenthes;
datura seedlings, tomato, pepper, purple passion vine...etc
ev09.jpg

and finally the second balcony, facing northwest. using this for non-cps, a few of which have rotted in the snowstorm as you can see but they will come back.
this is also where i keep my white worm stock.
stinging nettle, cyclamen (has a great fragrance), violets, a few wild plants and a p medusina hybrid.
ev10s.jpg

this is it basically. way too many plants to show one by one so if you are curious about a particular side or species, let me know so i can zoom in for you.
cheers from Istanbul!

Beautiful photographs! You really captured it all :)
What is the large object emerging from the water in the tank? A rock?
I'm really envious of your dedicated grow space.
Thanks so much for sharing! And thank you for the advice on the killi.

Cute cat reflection by the way ;] had me looking in the wrong picture for a while.
And those leaves sure are red underneath! Very neat.

no worries, you're welcome :)
that object in the middle is a driftwood but i can't remember its type. something beginning with "red..." ? it takes a long time to sink in, but has a great form 'cos it has many branches. i tied moss to every branch which took over after a while. it's completely submerged sometimes but usually keep half way out because killifish don't like deep water.

terrab.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

i found an old photo of the tank, this is the driftwood i was mentioning;

terrac.jpg

aw! I see! once again, thanks for sharing :]
that second photo really clears things up

i take many pics of my plants and tanks, but they are all of low quality and i am not very organised. i will try to make a point of getting them all uploaded sometime soon

ah this was like taking a trip down the memory lane...i'd completely forgotten about this thread. it's cute and strange seeing the seedlings of so many plants most of which are mature now, i forgot how small they were.

well, the aquarium is finally gone due to my decision of giving up pets (save the cat obviously who is deranged and can't be considered a pet anyway) for ethical reasons. i'm a bit sad as it was going really well and i know i'll never put together that collection of rare fish again. anyway...here are a few pics from the day i pulled the system apart,

akv001.jpg

akv01.jpg

akv02.jpg

akv03.jpg

Back