What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash Course Guide for Petiolaris Dormancy...

Over the months (because i havent been in the hobby for THAT long), I was asked by different individuals about my petiolaris drosera cultivation practices. Concerning petiolaris, the most mysterious and least understood area in their cultivation is their dormancy. I remember the first time learning about petiolaris drosera and dreading their inevitable dormancy because I saw that so many growers were unable to bring their plants out of dormancy and ended up killing them in the process because petiolaris dormancy was poorly understood. Some petiolaris growers commented how dormancy could be avoided by keeping the plants wet and hot, while others stated that dormancy seemed to come like a thief in the night, regardless of ideal conditions. I thought this graphic would be helpful for those who are growing petiolaris drosera for the first time and prepare them for the time when their plant decides to go dormant.

The following guide is a culmination of my personal experience with petiolaris drosera and their dormancy requirements.
9411276002_633c2ca55e_o.png

Last edited:
Very nice effort, Jon; and I take back what I said about you -- well, most of it . . .

Very well done!

I'm still not growing something that needs to be 110 degrees though. :p

This should be stickied!

Hehe I feel like I was some what of a catalyst for you to make this.. Thanks for taking the time to make this its great!

Excellent, you should submit that to the CPN.

@bbella: derrrrr.......thanks. :awesome:
@dex: you'd be surprised how easy it is to reach those temps. a relatively small tank, sealed, with an aquarium heater, and direct contact with power compact fluorescents can reach that range with no problem.
@mluk: yes. hahaha. you were partially responsible---but there were quite a few others dabbing with petiolaris as well. ;) i hope this info helps you out in the future!
@NaN: awww shucks. you think so? might have to spiff it up....a LOT. :)

Not really, go back and look at some of the readers submission on growing Mexican Pinguicula and aquatic Utricularia.

i'd love to see those, but i'll take your word on it. :lol:
but let's say i might be willing to submit this piece. would i be able to submit it in this present format, or does it need to be reformatted?

Nice and just in time, looks like my ordensis may be going into dormancy.

Now it has a far increased chance of surviving it!

BobZ as managing editor can better answer your questions on submission. From what I gather they would want just the text in electronic format and the photos (min 1000 pixels per side, lossless format (e.g. TIF)).

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/cpn3.html

Thanks for sharing!

I've got a decent light, now, with a timer, but I need to get an aquarium heater to get the temps higher than the low 80's.

@peatmoss: thanks! this guide was written specifically to help peeps like you! i hope it proves successful!
@jim: that's great! well, for me, right now, temps arent so high as i'd like. 95F during the day, and 75F at night. ideally, i'd like it warmer as well.
@cplantaholic: thanks very much sir! coming from you, it means a lot! :hail:

Concise and well-illustrated, which means it will get read. 'Not that there is so much information on petiolaris 'dews out there that those who grow them can afford to miss anything. You have probably made it so some of us won't have to experience death by dormancy in some of our favorite plants. Thanks for the effort.

@bluemax: thank you very much sir. this community has been great to me in the giving of information and plants---more often than not, undeserved. thought that this could be a great way to give back. :)

Very nice! I might give these plants a try now. Sounds like they'd enjoy Virginia summers.

@bbella: derrrrr.......thanks. :awesome:
@dex: you'd be surprised how easy it is to reach those temps. a relatively small tank, sealed, with an aquarium heater, and direct contact with power compact fluorescents can reach that range with no problem.
@mluk: yes. hahaha. you were partially responsible---but there were quite a few others dabbing with petiolaris as well. ;) i hope this info helps you out in the future!
@NaN: awww shucks. you think so? might have to spiff it up....a LOT. :)

in regards to the aquarium heater... could you possible post pics or describe what method you use?
i attempted that and experiences more evaporation than i could handle... and lost the heater.

@Newspaper: here's a simplified petiolaris setup that i created, others have variations based off of the main concepts.

setup.png

Here is a picture of how I ran one years back... I did have to fill it fairly often, but not more often then I looked at the plants. :D
Andrew

P1010248.JPG

also, sealing of the tank or the majority of it helps retain water for longer periods of time.

Back