What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPs and fertilizer ???

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Hey All,
So in January I repotted ALL of my Pinguicula and a few other. I use a mix that has a peat:vermiculite: perlite. I don't remember my ratio but, I think I may have used that crummy perlite that Miracle Grow puts out with fertilizers in. I honestly can't remember and I haven't been home to check. However, I have my mom take care of my plants and she has yet to report a decline in any of my plants health. Is it possible that the fertilizer is in such a low concentration that it is not affecting my plants, cause I was reading the labels on the bag at Lowes and the percentages are EXTREMELY low for perlite compared to just normal potting soil.

That fertilized pearlite isn't good for cp's
maybe if you flushed it REALLY well it might work.
miracle grow will kill regular plants, it's bad stuff.

Oh I know it's bad news. I've seen numerous plants die from it. It just seems strange that mine have not reacted even after two months of exposure.

I don't think there is very much fertilizer in that perlite because I have used it several time to repot cps and I have never seen a problem. I used to be able to find the shultz perlite but for some reason they have stopped selling it. My only option was to order online and incur shipping charges or buy miracle gro so i took a gamble and it worked out. I just rinse the perlite a few times before I use it and I have yet to lose a cp to it.

The plants are dormant are they not?

Some of them are, but not my pings. They are full flower. About the only place I can ever find Shultz brand is at walmart. I have seen perlite sold next to the bales of peat moss as well so it is possible to buy it in bulk which is going to be fertilizer free. I definitely don't like the fact that Miracle-Grow has decided to add it to their perlite as well. Sheesh, before we know it, they'll be trying to market fertilizer for fertilizer!

Back