What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering a trade or giveaway

I have 7 Akai Ryu vfts, and I was thinking about maybe giving or trading away my two largest in the late Winter, just before they really start coming out of dormancy. I wanted to get a feel for the general interest in these plants though, whether I should make the necessary preparations over the course of the Winter. If this post isn't allowed, I'll gladly take it down. As I said, I just wanted to get a feel for general interest, and felt this was the best place to do that.

It's one of the most common clones... I gave away several myself recently on the FTS forums.

I think it's worth a try though, there may be some new people around who would like it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I've been thinking of trying a VFT again. It's been over 20 years since I've had one and the rest of my CPs are doing great. So yeah, I'd be interested.

I have been trying to trade off some of my offsetting VFTs and whatnot, havent gotton to much intrests for what i have but i had a list up in one of the thread sections on here.. Now i have more rhizomes splitting and pupping I'm not sure if i should list them for a trade since i didn't get much feed back from the list i put up before or if i should wait until next spring.. I don't wanna rip them up unless I'm gonna repot them and unless i get a trade or a reason to do it i don't even wanna find out how many splits and offsets i have on my VFT pots these days lol lol!

I have been trying to trade off some of my offsetting VFTs and whatnot, havent gotton to much intrests for what i have but i had a list up in one of the thread sections on here.. Now i have more rhizomes splitting and pupping I'm not sure if i should list them for a trade since i didn't get much feed back from the list i put up before or if i should wait until next spring.. I don't wanna rip them up unless I'm gonna repot them and unless i get a trade or a reason to do it i don't even wanna find out how many splits and offsets i have on my VFT pots these days lol lol!
What cultivars do you have dividing? I collect impulsively.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I saw the thread, just didn't have anything to offer from your wanted list. :p

What cultivars do you have dividing? I collect impulsively.
If you search her posts in the classifieds, you'll find the thread. ;)

As for the OP (Trout) and the Akai Ryu plants, I have no idea what would be wanted in trade, so I might not be able to get in on that either. lol

Last edited:
When I actually put the plants up, for trade/sale/giveaway, I'll have a better idea of what I'd like to replace them with. As it is, I understand that the Akai Ryu cultivar is not very costly or difficult to come by, so I wouldn't expect to receive any prize plants in return. My favorites right now are rosetted sundews and the 'dente' style vfts. Anything would be appreciated though, as long as I could fit it into my terrarium, or the mini-bog I'm setting up with some pygmies. I don't have enough room for Sarrs and lack the means to create a suitable habitat for Neps.

One thing that I know for sure is on my list of plants to eventually acquire is Cephalotus follicularis. I know they grow in the same area as the pygmies, I just can't afford the ones they have for sale at my usual supplier. If someone REALLY wanted to make my day and didn't mind trading down for one of my akai ryu, they could send me one of those guys.

My terrarium is essentially an enclosed mini-bog with intense light on one half and good, if indirect light on the other. It maintains a humidity of approx 70% and the temperature has a high of about 80F and a low (so far; haven't had it where it's at in winter before) of around 68F. The substrate is about 60/40 Peat/Vermiculite. If you have plants you know, or suspect, would do well in these conditions, those would make idea trades.

Back