What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming out of Retirement!!

Granted, but I'm only going to be at the shop twice a week. So if something goes wrong with the cooling, I just cost the store a few hundred dollars worth of neps. Yeah, I'm sure the employees can handle it if I'm not there.. but I want to avoid that scenario if at all possible.
My goal is setting up a rewarding show case, with low maintenance, and low worries.

If you're going with a "showcase", are you going to try to do a large planted tank? I'm sure you could do a pretty sweet one.

I don't have tanks available to me at the store.

Cool, Sounds good. Again feel free to ask if you have any questions. Here is a pic of my current setup.

hydro+hut.jpg

In my conditions, plants grow better under metal halide than T5. The plants are in an open environment, not a grow tent, so heat build up it not an issue. I believe that when used in a grow tent a ducted extraction system is used to directly pull heat away from the lamp. Fan failure is dealt with by using a temperature or airflow vane switch to kill the lamps. HID lamps, specifically metal halide and sodium lamps, are popular for hydroponics growing within the UK. T5 are typically used for seedlings and low growing plants, such as lettuce, in a hydroponics system as they do not have enough depth penetration for tall plants, unless mounted vertically. It would be interesting to see what your hydroponics store has a preference to.

I gotta admit, that sounds like a cool gig! Good luck making a beautiful display. And I totally think you should see how a ventricosa likes the hyrdoponics. It sounds like if anyone were the man to try it out, this would be the time and now would be the case!

Back