What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clueless in Kentucky,

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
That's no gift.. you're in DEBT, Butch! Watch for any horse heads that mysteriously turn up in your bed.

LOL, the "Goonda Raj" made an offer I could not refuse...

Last edited:
"y'all are conspiring to get me to grow neps and I know it!"

Apparently it is working! (And like refusing food from the tribe, it would be an insult not to accept!)
["There, I now did my part to help the conspiracy!...with Guilt & Manipulation!]

Just look at the plant! Look closely! ...See the gorgeous form & nice colors...!
Now repeat after me... "This is the plant I'm looking for!...
I can't just go about my business!...
Grow along...! Grow along....! :)

Apparently it is working! (And like refusing food from the tribe, it would be an insult not to accept!)
["There, I now did my part to help the conspiracy!...with Guilt & Manipulation!]

Just look at the plant! Look closely! ...See the gorgeous form & nice colors...!
Now repeat after me... "This is the plant I'm looking for!...
I can't just go about my business!...
Grow along...! Grow along....! :)

Yeah yeah yeah, I actually caught myself looking at Zu's massive pic thread yesterday and going ooooohhh and ahhhhhhh at a couple of hers.

LOL, even so.... I still dont have the facilities for big neps :p
This macro is very special to me for what it is and what it meant to the owner.... very unfair and sneaky y'all LOL

buncha brats all of ya!

Don't forget to get a couple clones of macro too; just to make sure you have a buddy with whom to compare pitcher features and growth rates ;)

Don't forget to get a couple clones of macro too; just to make sure you have a buddy with whom to compare pitcher features and growth rates ;)

Well I have just been told by the grower it is a "Type A Macro Specimen" and will look like this

ummm you look like a good buddy to have :hail:
(I know you meant a buddy "plant" for my macro hehehehe)

Last edited:
Macro potted up yesterday....

With my watering regime, I went with some Schultz Orchid mix I had laying around, a dab of LFS, a wee bit Seachem Flourite and top dressed with some red Sphag for good looks and microenviroment.
Placed it on my T8 rack... was afraid my T5 rack would have been a bit much more than it was use to with the minimal distance to fixture.
Temps should never exceed 72F where it is at and while no "fog", it is still relatively humid.

Figure it will need some time to acclimate, but hope it likes the new place

Av

"My" first pitcher has opened.... :D
macro_hf.jpg

please excuse the image quality.... ill get a nicer pic asap
Av

Very nice butch, I know neps aren't your specialty, but you seem to be doing pretty darn good. :p

The coloration on these things is mesmerizing!
I think you will find yourself hooked on Neps in time...
But then if you do... where does one go from here?
Seems you are starting at the top to begin with!
Perhaps a Hamata x Villosa or Eddy type perhaps?

(As always, nice plants Butch!)

Woohooo! That looks awesome!

Yer already a better Nepenthes grower than I am... :awesome:

Butch I about fainted when I read it was a gift. Way to go my friend. You are truly*deserving. I will love to see it get bigger. You will do great with it. Just need to expand your growing area in the future for neps. Wow is all I can say. It is stunning.

good work man! Why did you chose seachem fluorite? is this to help mimic ultramafics? have you used it before?

I grow mine in a chunky mix of (2:2:2:1) orchid bark, charcoal, live LFS, perlite.
80*F days
48*F nights
90% constant humidity
and plenty of light.

Should grow fine next to your villosa.

good work man! Why did you chose seachem fluorite? is this to help mimic ultramafics? have you used it before?

Actually, seemed like a resonable thing to try for the trace nutrients/Iron and nope, haven't tried it before...

Thanks all for the help and kind words, and thank you Josh..... :)

Better pics from today:
macronep2_hf.jpg

macronep3.jpg

It will make for an awesome nep imho, loving the coloration
It's so "heli like" (heheheheheh couldn't resist :p )

Last edited:
Beautiful Butch. Could you put me down for a cutting in several years?

whoa. not sure what's up with that growth point, but I'd spray that thing for bugs and isolate it from your other plants.

Butch, welcome to the Nepenthes cabal; you'll be getting the certificate and secret handshake (gesture, for Zuzana) within another six to eight weeks . . .

whoa. not sure what's up with that growth point, but I'd spray that thing for bugs and isolate it from your other plants.

No worries travis, the damaged one is not the growth point but a developing leaf that was damaged in transit.... The new leaf that is opening in the pic is the current growth point..... all is well :)

Beautiful Butch. Could you put me down for a cutting in several years?
Absolutely old friend....

Butch, welcome to the Nepenthes cabal; you'll be getting the certificate and secret handshake (gesture, for Zuzana) within another six to eight weeks . . .

Woohoo, do I get the offiical Fez now?????
Fez's are cool.....

There will be a fez and cohibas from Cuba, by way of Toronto; who the hell told you?

Back