What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicago's Winters...

Yes they can :p. Of the 4 plants I left outside 3 look like they survived, however last year only none of my plants survived, but that might have been my fault for overwintering the wrong way. You can read about how the University of Illinois in Champaign does it here:
http://www.life.illinois.edu/plantbio/greenhouse/vt_carnivorous.html
Althought they are in 1 zone warmer the temps are very close.

With that said if you want to be really safe, you could move your plants in a garage or do the fridge method. With those two methods you can avoid freezing all together, which will raise your chances of success.

@sss what the university is doing is called mulching an outdoor bog. This is possible as the roots are in the soil which is heated by the earth, and the top layer of mulch and covering help to keep the bog warm. This is very different than setting pots out on your back patio expecting them to survive, which is what Scotty is probably assuming lolsmiley is doing.

Listen to Scotty, he has 10+ years of experience in a similar environment. It is not impossible to grow them outdoors year round in chicago, just more difficult and expensive.

@sss what the university is doing is called mulching an outdoor bog. This is possible as the roots are in the soil which is heated by the earth, and the top layer of mulch and covering help to keep the bog warm. This is very different than setting pots out on your back patio expecting them to survive, which is what Scotty is probably assuming lolsmiley is doing.

Listen to Scotty, he has 10+ years of experience in a similar environment. It is not impossible to grow them outdoors year round in chicago, just more difficult and expensive.

I understand what the university is doing, I read the page lol. Obviously a bog is more protected than a pot, however I am amazed at the lack of trial and error. Last year I set my plants on a glass table and mulched them, and non survived(s. x diana's delight and s. purp ssp purp), but this year I put them in an open plastic bin on the ground next to my house and right now 3 of my 4 look like they survived.

And lets make this clear, the OP asked if plants can survive, instead of assuming where or what they are growing in lets just give them an answer.

I agree it is safer to use methods that don't require leaving them outside, I never said otherwise, but not everybody has room in their fridge, not everyone has a garage they can put their plants in.

Good points. I admire your trial and error. Be sure to let us know (me in particular) if you manage to get 100% success using methods other than garage or fridge. I live in a colder region and am open to new techniques.

I would experiment, but I don't have the quantity or desire to lose plants in the process.

They should survive, just make sure to use a fungicide and try putting them in an unheated garage or pressed against the side of your building, to get some heat from the building, and then add mulch

or make a bog like I did here
http://thecarnivorousplantbogblog.blogspot.com/

Why am I always the last to know of a Timmy sighting? LOL.

Back