What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus grown in hydroponics (tropics)

Cindy

Staff member
I bought a set-up last December as a Christmas gift for myself. :awesome:

The core of the media is long fibre sphagnum and the surrounding is leca balls. The 3" pot is netted like this one. My balcony is pretty hot and the average temperature of the water is about the low 80s.

Here are photos of the plants.

Top: Jan 2012, Bottom: April 2012
cephalotus_hydroponics_jan_april_2012.jpg

cephalotus_hydroponics_jan_april_20122.jpg

cephalotus_hydroponics_april_aug_2012.jpg

cephalotus_hydroponics_april_aug_20122.jpg

The current set-up and the plants from the top...was advised by Phill Mann to give the plants more light to reduce the growth of the moss as well as to colour up the pitchers. Yes, sir!!!
cephalotus_hydroponics_210812.jpg

The result over the 8 months is pretty good even though the moss and the pitchers have turned yellow because of the heat wave. So, I decided to have another set. :crazy:

New set-up from the top. No leca ball is being used as the pot is really small...not sure what's the effect. :scratch:
cephalotus_hydroponics_270812.jpg

Close-up of the plants - they just arrived at beginning of this month.
cephalotus_hydroponics_240812.jpg

That is so cool, I had no idea you could grow cephs in a hydro setup.

Beautiful plants, very cool idea, I may have to try this..

Thanks for the idea!

--Paul

Why are you using sphagnum?

Is this methode better? Are plants growing faster?

The medium Cephalotus is grown in really depends on your specific conditions. I use a lot of live and dead sphag with mine, but hydro is one way havn't yet tried. THere are a number of people doing it, though, so the method seems successful.

You can grow just about any plant in a hydro set up. AS long as the water keeps moving and stays highly oxygenated and clean plants thrive in hydro. Its dialing it in that can be the issue. Also hydro is much less forgiving if you make a mistake. Only takes 24 hours off too warm water or no water for the plants to all die since they are used to perfect conditions. Their roots cant handle stress for too long and can dry and rot pretty easily. Its great though once you get it dialed in
That is so cool, I had no idea you could grow cephs in a hydro setup.

Beautiful plants, very cool idea, I may have to try this..

Thanks for the idea!

--Paul

AAAAHHHHHH...the water pump stopped suddenly this week! I am kinda worried for the plants since they have been doing pretty well with the system.

Here's a pic of the six mini pots in their temporary "home".
cephalotus_hydroponics_Nov.jpg

From one of them...

Flowers!!! But I doubt I got any seeds. :blush:

cephalotus_flowering_plant1_141112.jpg

cephalotus_flowering_plant_141112.jpg

cephalotus_flower_141112.jpg

A bonus!!!
cephalotus_hydroponics_Nov_offshoot.jpg

Mature pitcher at slightly over 1"!!! Nothing special but something to celebrate given the growing conditions where I am. :boogie:
cephalotus_hydroponics_Nov_pitcher.jpg

That is awesome!

The plantlet coming out of the side of the pot made me laugh. Very intriguing experiment.

Back