What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Follicularis from YG

Rokosauros

Edward
AT LAST, I got my ceph. I've grown this species once before, but I killed it after leaving it in it's water tray for a long long time.....:( Now though, I'm quite happy with this plant that I bought. Came at a nice size for RM60 (thats 20 USD to you folks out there). I don't expect it to grow huge pitchers or stunning colouring under my hot tropical weather but I'm crossing fingers for at least a fairly reddish pitcher. :-D

001-1.jpg

The whole plant. Cute :blush:

002.jpg

Err....that coin is about 1.3 cm-ish in diameter. :0o:

003-3.jpg

Talk about roots. I snapped one eeny weeny bit off. Oh well. :-O

004-3.jpg

Had this crazy idea of using aquarium sand as the topping. About 1/2 inch. Oh well. :banana2:

005-2.jpg

NO one can resist leaf/pitcher pullings. Admit it!

I'm so happy right now!!!!!! :lol:

That is a nice looking ceph for 20 dollars!! It should be a head turner when it gets up and running again.

One question though...Why give it such a transplant beat down since it came potted up?...They are tough though.

Man if I could find me some of those for 20 a pop I would have me a table full. :)

Talk about value. Good luck with the leaf pullings.

xvart.

One question though...Why give it such a transplant beat down since it came potted up?...They are tough though.

They didn't come all potted up. Arrived bare rooted at the nursery, the owner who is a good friend of mine potted it in LFS and then about two days later (which is today) I collected it. I don't really trust LFS on cephalotus though :nono:. It's now potted in 50% peat moss, 25% perlite and 25% aquarium sand.

FYI, YG is a nursery in Malaysia located in Cameron Highlands (which is famous for growing tea plants). They sell TONS of the fairly common neps in Malaysia (ventrata, rebecca soper, truncata etc) I think about two to three years back, they started selling cephalotus. Otherwise, I would have never thought of getting one, imagine the hassle needed to transport one here to Malaysia from somewhere, say FlyTrapShop? :D

Nepenthes sold in Malaysia are extremely cheap. For instance, you can get a ventrata for 5 USD which has 3 inches tall pitchers. :-D benefits of being near Borneo.

Ah I see! Thanks for the clarity. Yeah I guess malaysia is a little out of my travel path!

Back