What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Plant "Events"

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Hi all,

Perhaps I have simply missed them, but are there regular meetings, sales, expo's, get-togethers etc. among all the growers here or even in general? Because Terraforums is such a close knit little community, I would think that news about plant shows and other events like that would spread like wildfire but somehow they seem to be rarely mentioned. Then again I could just be out of the loop :jester:

Could it be that these kinds of things just happen more often during the spring and I am only noticing this now? Is it that the groups are secretly guarded and restricted by location, or could I be wrong all together in assuming these "events" even take place (I hope this isn't the case haha)!

I really do enjoy this forum. The people I have met and the information they have generously provided have all been wonderful, but getting to meet people face to face and maybe seeing plants, set-ups, etc. first hand are separate entities within themselves. Such events would be nice little supplements to the vast amount of info here on the forums. There must be others who feel this way as well.

Have I just been oblivious to these "events" ?

Thanks for your time,
-J.P.

Well you're in VA, so you have NECPS. There's the 2 or whatever societies in Cali, and us in the south have absolutely nothing. AFAIK, the midwest has nothing either. There's no TerraForums Expo or anything I know of, but it'd be sweet.

We also tend to not have open days in the US, because our country is huge. Lots of people advertise them on CPUK, but if we all lived in an area the size of Minnesota, we could do that too.

yea dude! you should go to the next NECPS show this year! its crazy fun!

the only events we get here like PK said are the society meetings and shows. we need a southern and midwest CP society. so many people grow in the south...however not so much in the midwest.

Alex

A Terraforums Expo would be pretty awesome...

Do we know the date for the next NECPS?

usually its the last saturday and sunday of september... i hope to make enough money to go again this year. ill bring some more plants too :)

Alex

Is it gunna be in RI again? Gawd I hope not. What an awful and corrupt state (but ANYWAY)....
I hope its somewhere a touch further south or at a huge hub, so it's cheap to get to. Could you even imagine the freakin chaos that would ensue if I showed up?

I would be so lost... haha. Anyone willing to show the new kid around?

Can I really wait another 8 months....

Is it gunna be in RI again? Gawd I hope not. What an awful and corrupt state (but ANYWAY)....
I hope its somewhere a touch further south or at a huge hub, so it's cheap to get to. Could you even imagine the freakin chaos that would ensue if I showed up?
AH!! do it! ahha i think it is gonna be in RI... would be nice if it were farther south. travel is expensive!
I would be so lost... haha. Anyone willing to show the new kid around?

sounds like me last year. youll be lost the second you walk into the show :D so many plants!!

Alex

I'd like competions like the ugliest planting(with taste not just crude with a plant),
or the best nepenthes photo,dionea,sarracenia,pinguicula and so on the prize could be something like people would donate a plant for each genera so the winner would get something they do not have or something around those lines.,
A TF expo would be awsome but it would not happen happen by me,there are no cp societes in oregon there WAS one but according to a few peoples it fizzeled out...
Surprisingly enough there are many southern oregon growers. I'd love a society in southern oregon since the only one in california is southern cali/LA.
But someone experienced would need to form one the last one was by a nursery that sorta well pelted there onto members... I know of maybe about 10 members in southern OR alone..

Is there anything in MN LOL I would love to find a society. No such luck here in GA.

I'd love a society in southern oregon since the only one in california is southern cali/LA.

Howdy JM, there is another society a little closer to Southern Oregon than LA by a few hundred miles - there is the BACPS (Bay Area CPS) -- and the meeting is tomorrow!!! GAWSH DURN - I can't make that one!!! BUT, maybe you could make it if you start driving now? :-O

I'd love to start a society in the south...but we're so spread out down here. The MS/AL would probably be the best place to meet lol. It's sort of halfway between West Texas and South Florida.

I've been lucky and have found 3 other growers within an hour and a half drive.
A few times a year we get together at someones house and talk and trade plants.

don't move the NECPS show too far south, then it won't be in New England! I can't wait for next year's show. Last year I missed the silent auction! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! WHAT GOT INTO ME?!?!??! WHY DID I LEAVE SO EARLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

In addition to the NECPS, there are periodic, somewhat random, smaller events that occur.

John Hummer has a small get-together, tour of his bog a few times each summer (a search will locate some commentary & pics). If you haven't been to his place before, it's really amazing to see everything growing in a natural bog area. This is just north of Richmond, iirc.

In addition, elgecko has organized at least 1 Pine Barrens camping, boating, exploring trip for the last 2 summers (again - pics & commentary posted - there may be several people's pics over in the ICPS forums). I only made a cameo 2 years ago but this past summer, my wife & I made it and the group of us had a blast.

Iirc, about 3 years ago, Dave Evan held a barbecue at his place where we got some good food and a tour of all of his plants and growing areas in addition to the inevitable, very interesting, never-ending CP conversations.... :0o:

Im really hopeing ill make it to the next NECPS show and maybe one of there meetings. A NYCPS would be pretty cool I think or maybe a get together, sense I know there are a couple of members living in close proxcimity of each of other and a couple memebers. Canada is also pretty close....

Since Ron mentioned it, I'm already starting to plan this years Pine Barren trip.
I may be camping in a different area this year, Bass River.
I'll post the details when the time is closer to the trip.

I thought there was a CP society in the Tampa, FL area. May no longer exist. I live on the Fl/Al border and Tampa is still an 8 hour drive. Too far away for me to attend meetings. Need a centrally located CP society/club down south like PK said. Maybe in Fl panhandle- Pensacola, Fl. Or for that matter Atlanta, Ga.,

Back