What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carnivorous fungi

The Carolina bilogical something or other company sells carnivorous fungi (probably not the species in the article though) kits as well as other interesting stuff.

That was very interesting! So the fungus in that article uses a kind of sundew type sticky trap. At the end of the article the writer said that there was another type of fungus that uses trap like mechanisms to trap prey. So that one could have bladderwort type traps, right?

-buckeye

Wow, that's one I never heard of.

I THINK that maybe that other trap-fungus has loops where nematodes crawl through and it closes on them or something, I thought I saw some thing like that in a book.

Yes, I have seen these under a microscope, in soil from our own compost pile! Very interesting design indeed!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (droseradude @ Oct. 22 2003,10:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I THINK that maybe that other trap-fungus has loops where nematodes crawl through and it closes on them or something, I thought I saw some thing like that in a book.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes, that one exists.
biggrin.gif
There are many cps that exist that people do not know about. I think there are about 20 different genus of cps

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, that one exists. There are many cps that exist that people do not know about. I think there are about 20 different genus of cps[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Acually, we must remember that "cps" is short for "carnivorous plants". Fungi are not plants. They are in a different kingdom altogether.
tounge.gif

cheers,

-noah

you are absolutly right Noah, different kingdom completely. The fungus that was in the article was probably Nematoctonus, if I remember my College mycology right. It's an imperfect fungi, cheifly attacking nematodes in the soil. Meny other fungi attack nematodes, Dactylella is another which is more of a parisite for nematodes. Even some "mushrooms" are known to attack nematodes but they do so in thier "non-spore" phase. If you think of the mushroom as the "apple" (seed) and the mycelium (the under ground white filaments) as the "tree", its the mycelium that is doing all the nematode damage, not the mushroom. Hohenbuehelia is also known to attack nematodes, but not during mushroom formation. Somone mentioned the fungi  that uses "hoops" incorporated in the mycelium that constrict around the nematode as it passes through. I've watched this as well under a scope. very cool. the hoop consists of about three cells and as the nepatode passes through, the sells inflate to pinch the little bugger. Mycelium then growes into the nematode and digests it. Hope this helps.

Back