What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

campanulata quasi bonsai project aka "into the crevasse"

• Thread starter amphirion
  • Start date
Ooh, I'm excited to see how the Utricularia graminifolia turn out.

Between the buce and the algae on the stone I knew you'd be a planted tank guy! Dont these two hobbies mesh perfectly?!
a little too well. good thing most CPs arent lithophytic, otherwise i'd have a big problem!

as it stands, some odd 50 days later...
NF6MkKa.png
jn1CbFy.png

wistuba clone 1
OMdxSrs.png

wistuba clone 2
W62UtM0.png

wistuba 3
PduVr8I.png

wistuba 4 (growth point snapped during shipping)
kY39uug.png

wistuba 5 (also broken growth point)
JjNYTLG.png

borneo exotics--found out it came without roots. of all the campanulata, this one concerns me the most. hope it pulls through...
0AQOcma.png

and a final BE clone, a shining beacon of hope reminding me, that my growing conditions actually arent that bad, and it's really the plants adjusting...
EBGnkkJ.png

thanks as always for taking a look.

4GVBZwI.png

Looks great. Hopefully you get both genders out of all those clones there.

Looking good! Hopefully they all adjust and start growing well

This has been an inspiration and gave me ideas as to how to go about hanging the mosses on the sides of my terrarium.
But I did have some questions as to the live moss though. My order for live Moss will come in on Monday. Will they grow successfully in my terrarium? The conditions are 85%-95% humidity constantly (Ultrasonic Humidifier), Highland conditions where Temp is
22-27C @ day and 9-13.5C at night. I just water my Neps once a week, since the media is quite moist in the terrarium.

Would I have to water the moss every day? And also, I currently have a blue/red grow light which is sitting about 15-18 inched from the pots. I will be replacing that with a T5HO fixture. I am just worried if the light would be too much for the mosses. I run the lights from 6AM to 8:10 PM

Thats looking awesome man. What are you doing for lighting again? I would blast it with as much light as possible to make it compact like that in the wild. :)

as it stands, some odd 50 days later...
NF6MkKa.png
jn1CbFy.png

wistuba clone 1
OMdxSrs.png

wistuba clone 2
W62UtM0.png

wistuba 3
PduVr8I.png

wistuba 4 (growth point snapped during shipping)
kY39uug.png

wistuba 5 (also broken growth point)
JjNYTLG.png

borneo exotics--found out it came without roots. of all the campanulata, this one concerns me the most. hope it pulls through...
0AQOcma.png

and a final BE clone, a shining beacon of hope reminding me, that my growing conditions actually arent that bad, and it's really the plants adjusting...
EBGnkkJ.png

thanks as always for taking a look.

4GVBZwI.png

This one of the coolest things I've ever seen, keep it up, I cant wait to see how it looks when everything settles in!

This has been an inspiration and gave me ideas as to how to go about hanging the mosses on the sides of my terrarium.
But I did have some questions as to the live moss though. My order for live Moss will come in on Monday. Will they grow successfully in my terrarium? The conditions are 85%-95% humidity constantly (Ultrasonic Humidifier), Highland conditions where Temp is
22-27C @ day and 9-13.5C at night. I just water my Neps once a week, since the media is quite moist in the terrarium.

Would I have to water the moss every day? And also, I currently have a blue/red grow light which is sitting about 15-18 inched from the pots. I will be replacing that with a T5HO fixture. I am just worried if the light would be too much for the mosses. I run the lights from 6AM to 8:10 PM

hard to tell without knowing the exact perimeters we are working with. normally, sphagnum can take high lighting conditions--but its usually the heat that gets to them. if it's too hot, the fronds will stress out. however, if you can keep humidity and temps at a constant and favorable level, id expect no problems with growing moss in a vertical fashion. i would give them a initial thorough spray to get them situated, and afterwards, you probably would never have to spray them again.

Thats looking awesome man. What are you doing for lighting again? I would blast it with as much light as possible to make it compact like that in the wild. :)
im scared of blasting it with too much light though. overhead lighting is dimmed significantly, but i can see the highest plant bleaching out a bit as a stress response, maybe when it turns solid green, i'll give it a shot again. i have overhead led lighting, and two led spot light projections for the plants in less favorable positions.

This one of the coolest things I've ever seen, keep it up, I cant wait to see how it looks when everything settles in!
thanks. I'm getting pitcher production on some of the other plants so will photograph those soon.

An update no nice pictures. Just phone photos. 5 of 7 plants are in process of inflating some pitchers. 2 still remain fussy. Interestingly enough, the one that had no root system is not only recovering, but is trying to produce pitchers! Really pleased with the overall progress.
IMG_3265.jpgIMG_3266.jpgIMG_3268.jpgIMG_3269.jpgIMG_3270.jpgIMG_3271.jpg

It looks really nice! Makes me want to give this species a try.

It's already filling in very nicely. The moss has already made it look much more full.

day one hundred forty three....
iu

just kidding.
23120230_10107641241757086_8527728988308016313_o.jpg

That is gorgeous...:drool:

Always happy to see Calvin and Hobbes in any context.

That's amazing! I hope you bring it to the conference next year so I can see it in person.

Beautiful job. I really need to get me some campanulata and try this. :D Love it!! :D

That is gorgeous...:drool:
Always happy to see Calvin and Hobbes in any context.

Thanks, me too!

I second this comment! ^
And a thank you to you too!

That's amazing! I hope you bring it to the conference next year so I can see it in person.
Funny thing, maybe this is me being pretentious, but i didnt think it would be in good taste to try to win two Geoff Wong awards in a row. That being said, since they announced that they were combining the show and sale with the actual conference, all bets are off. :)

Beautiful job. I really need to get me some campanulata and try this. :D Love it!! :D
Do it. Hows your ceph setup faring?

Back