What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It would, however, require you to do some considerable remodeling and/or start-over. Lots of work, but it has been going for almost year now, and no problems.

I don't top-water that terrarium, because it was designed to house a small reptile, and I didn't want our hard water to make the glass dirty. It worked out very well.

8-20-13-014.jpg

For the 'feet' I used uniformly sized plant pots. Anything will do, really. The 'floor' is called egg crate light diffuser. It's pretty cheap, and you'll find it in the lighting section of most big box retail hardware stores.

8-20-13-021.jpg

Wrapped that with some screen to keep the dirt above, and filled in the cracks around the edges (near the glass) with sphag. Laid out the rope (Rope needs to reach down to the reservoir to wick water up into the soil). Cover with dirt.

What you can't see in these pictures is a 1" tube that goes from the reservoir to the ceiling. It was necessary to cover it to keep the critters from getting into the reservoir, but plants aren't likely to slither down there, so you could probably do something a little shorter.

I really love that flowering butterwort it catches the most attention to me. I also like the D.binata.really nice! whats the glass container for? any Utricularia inside there? lol

The glass container has seeds that have begun to sprout. B. linaflora ( i hope i spelt that correctly - i didn't get up to go look at my tag )

Changed my terrarium around a bit.

Now watering from the bottom.

Everyone in it seems to be very happy, FINALLY!

I'm getting some Utrics tomorrow to add.

B3E5C25F-F41F-4A23-947A-EF1095BF5DA0_zpsuivjmzie.jpg

Wondering if the placement of the teeny pond is a little weird next to the hill? Maybe I should smooth the hill out a bit and put it on the other side of the tank instead??
Trying to figure out what other plants to add.

It would, however, require you to do some considerable remodeling and/or start-over. Lots of work, but it has been going for almost year now, and no problems.

I don't top-water that terrarium, because it was designed to house a small reptile, and I didn't want our hard water to make the glass dirty. It worked out very well.

8-20-13-014.jpg

For the 'feet' I used uniformly sized plant pots. Anything will do, really. The 'floor' is called egg crate light diffuser. It's pretty cheap, and you'll find it in the lighting section of most big box retail hardware stores.

8-20-13-021.jpg

Wrapped that with some screen to keep the dirt above, and filled in the cracks around the edges (near the glass) with sphag. Laid out the rope (Rope needs to reach down to the reservoir to wick water up into the soil). Cover with dirt.

What you can't see in these pictures is a 1" tube that goes from the reservoir to the ceiling. It was necessary to cover it to keep the critters from getting into the reservoir, but plants aren't likely to slither down there, so you could probably do something a little shorter.

Great idea with the rope to wick up the water!!

Last edited:
Made the pond a little larger, added more plants and things have started to green up more. Still trying to add more plants as I get them. Looking to add some grasses maybe - taller varieties? and more red droseras.

Very cool. I may copy it. :)

Thanks Dragoness!

Not of all the rocks in my terrarium are the same color. Do you guys think it would make it look better if they were???

I think it looks good with a variety of colors.

Yup, the variety of colors look good!

Pic Update

7A628526-69BD-497B-8D91-62792AC95765_zpsugq5zngq.jpg

949C15FA-70CF-49AA-95AD-12F35B30DBB6_zpsnbtaobz0.jpg

86579F03-D638-4809-A7F6-5ED5FD4AB91A_zpshvejrauh.jpg

57953ADE-8242-4689-9266-7D91CC38482C_zpsvfearoh4.jpg

Moved some things around. Unsure of the spider plant placement. Fern is getting really big! Byblis has kind of taken over that small area but I'll let it until it dies.

Nice tank! Though, I can't find the Byblis you're referring to, only D. finlaysoniana.

Very cool! Things are filling in nicely. Have you considered affixing a background to the outside of the tank? It could be a natural one to look more aesthetically pleasing, OR a white background to reflect more light?

Nice tank! Though, I can't find the Byblis you're referring to, only D. finlaysoniana.

You might be right, I grew them from seed from a friend and might of mixed up my seeds a bit. Thank you for the clarification. I'll have to make an ID tag. :)

Back