What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brom repotting mix?

thez_yo

instigator
I have a Home Depot bromeliad that looks like it needs repotting because the black squishy stuff it's potted in is crumbly and coming out of the bottom of the pot. I've had it in the stuff it came in (in the pot) since I got it last year. I don't know what to repot in, but I do have copious amounts of organic potting soil, perlite, peat, orchid mix in a bag, cocohusk, a little pumice, and lots of chilean lfs if you can suggest a mix using those. I thought about getting some dried moss at Home Depot that looks like the stuff you find on rocks in the forests in the NE USA to put it in, but decided to just ask here instead first. I think it's a Vrisea splenriet. (dark and light green stripes alternating up the leaves, tall red flower spike when it flowers)

Broms are epiphyte & don't really even need to be in soil so just about any well draining soil mix should work...

I've heard cactus mix works good?
But have never tried it...

I've always had good success with using peat mixed with a little sand & some pumice for drainage on my pups...

Your orchid mix should work fine...

Good Luck,
DC

Thanks! I think I'm just going to end up using the bagged orchid potting stuff that looks like small bark pieces, perlite, and maybe some charcoal in it too...and just baggie them up like neps for a while.

Back