What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bringing Back A Nep From The Dead!

seriously, this is what im working with:

70679896O614880901.jpg

a lowii x truncata that i got for free that was damaged by full sun. i was afraid that the tip was gone for sure as i didnt see it for a long time. after a long wait:

99970581O480676590.jpg

there is another pic that i have that is up to date...

99973542O599580799.jpg

Congrats! Miraculous recoveries always make the heart yodel....

Nice job! I'm dealing with a few Neps in that same situation right now. Hopefully they'll experience a similar recovery!

That doesn't look "dead". Lots of chlorophyll in the leaves.

well on the first photo the tip wasnt even visible and this was since like late 2005! the leves got worse after that, trust me.
smile_m_32.gif
and anyway, its as well as dead in that lower humidity outdoors!
smile_n_32.gif

Great news Santos! If you were salivating over that bongso pitcher, wait until this pitcher starts to form!

I've got a small hamata with a similar problem, a broken growth tip, probably from a bird. Its going on 3 months now with no change.
P1000040.jpg

when that happens(growth tip breaks off) basically you have to wait for the leaf to grow out. my little Mutant had its point knocked off and it grew just like normal. it put out i think 3 or 4 cut off leaves and then it started to grow normally. if a Rajah point was damaged you would have to wait for that leaf to unfold and maby the next one until it gets to normal. I would hate to see that happen to a Lowii
smile_h_32.gif
. if this is still unclear to you all, srduggins hamata will have to 'grow' a couple of new leaves to be normal. the leaves will grow but will not be complete. i hope that helps...
alex

Its not "growing" any new leaves. Other plants I've had this happen to either started a new side shoot, or sent up basals from below the soil, or both. But it did take a while, maybe 6 months.

OTOH, I may make a new record on smallest rooted cutting, if this works.

what im talking about is displayed in the second photo. see the leaf has grown out but did not grow out?(confusing much???) thats what im talking about! that is what it would look like if its tip was cut off just those severd leaves all the way up.
alex

Well, first I have to get something growing on it. After that I won't worry.

yesterday night i gave it a shot of fertilizer. steve, ill keep you updated on the progress on using that peters 30-10-10...

Happy days are here again. A week after posting my broken hamata, I have a growth point emerging!! Happy days are here again...
P1000520.jpg

It only took 3 months after it broke. And then as I was watering this morning. I noticed a small basal growing on my thorelii x trusmadiensis. Happy days are ....
P1000519.jpg

How about a nice ventricosa x spectabilis pitcher, just so you don't get bored with leaves and such.
P1000518.jpg

Steve, whats your ventricosa x spectabilis pitcher behind bars for. What horrendous crime did it commit to be put behind bars? Nice looking pitcher though.

Congrats on your hamatas recovery
smile.gif

Hurray for your N. hamata! I guess it shows that all it takes is time and a little TLC to bring back a "dead" plant
smile.gif

Santos:  You got your lowii x truncata for free???  I had to pay good money for mine.  Maybe if you had to pay for yours, you wouldn't have abused it.  Anyway, I'm glad it's healthy now.  It's a great plant.

Well Santos' plant was pre-abused, that's why it was free.

I didn't really give the hamata any TLC, just treated for mites and fungus, and left it alone.

The vent x spect is making a jail break!

Maybe the hamata was just playing dead.
smile.gif
If you give it any more attention, the more dead it will seem, so sometimes the best thing to do is just to leave it there.
smile_m_32.gif

Back