What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand of sphagnum peat moss

Haha, now I understand why. Thanx guys.

I have updated the first post with some pictures and recommended products so far. Check it out.

The premier peat moss isn't toxic is it? I just got some from Lowe's and I have four plants in it mixed with sand (50:50 ratio)

The quality of peat seems to vary wildly, even within the same brand. It's really difficult to predict if a particular bale will be good quality or not with consumer-grade peat. The best way to check is to get a TDS meter, soak the peat in water and test it.

The premier peat moss isn't toxic is it? I just got some from Lowe's and I have four plants in it mixed with sand (50:50 ratio)

It's not toxic hehe, it's just not very good quality. Atleast around where I live.

The quality of peat seems to vary wildly, even within the same brand. It's really difficult to predict if a particular bale will be good quality or not with consumer-grade peat. The best way to check is to get a TDS meter, soak the peat in water and test it.

It seems to be the case yes. But you also can expect some brands to be better on average than others, based on the trends. And to use TDS you'd have to buy a bale/bag first.

Last edited:
Ok. I agree with you in the first post, the stuff is muddy.

[MENTION=12066]emc2[/MENTION] could you post a picture of a pot with the pro-moss stuff once you plant something in it? Peat-sand or peat-perlite maybe? Thank you!

[MENTION=12066]emc2[/MENTION] could you post a picture of a pot with the pro-moss stuff once you plant something in it? Peat-sand or peat-perlite maybe? Thank you!

Sure. These should work as we see quite a lot of soil:

You can pick any other in my Flickr album
Skip the ones from the Pacific Orchid show, these are unfortunately not mine.
Else if it's not a Nepenthes or clearly in 100% LFS then this peat is in it the mix and as you will see that the plants seems ok.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am seriously considering trying that brand out as it is closest to what [MENTION=5343]Not a Number[/MENTION] mentioned. And i've never seen blond peat moss!!

No complains about it so far, and I only rinsed it once. If you end up getting it I will be interested by your feedback.

Shipping cost was not too bad. You can maybe find it locally, or somewhere else but I ordered plenty of pots, trays and perlite in the same time so overall I think it was a pretty good deal.

Going to check out a nursery (listed as their distributor) on my way home today for Fafard Brand peat moss. If it does not have it, I will be ordering Pro-Moss from Amazon with prime (added amazon link in the first post).

P.S. Fellow TFers if you can, please post pics of the peat moss of your choice, of the actual stuff. It would help tremendously in getting an idea about the quality and would help in choosing the brand.

Last edited:
Back