What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand of sphagnum peat moss

I suppose I don't even -know- what "quality" peat moss is. I've been using a bale of "Majestic Earth" Peat Moss purchased from Lowes almost two years ago. Unless I'm doing bulk re-potting, I sieve it through a screen and use the stuff that passes through, tossing the chunky bits. That being said, there aren't a -ton- of sticks or anything, but a few. Most of the leftovers appear to be clods of sphagnum that haven't fully decomposed. *shrug*

I never tried to to be honest. However, i recently ordered some plants from an online nursery and the package came stuffed with dry NZ sphagnum. Owner buys it somewhere and uses it instead of packing chips. He also sells it separately too. It looked similar to Better Gro stuff until it was re-hydrated. I know its all dead but when wet the heads of some strands were actually pale green. That sphagnum is fluffy and nice and does not seem to be heat treated. It also has very little debris in it and plenty of intact strands (better gro seems as if went trough a meat grinder). I think it might sprout :)

So what brand of peat moss do you prefer?

P.S.
PM me if you need the name.

Im convinced this is the same moss I linked earlier (I know which seller youre talking about) Ive had a lot of it come back to life several times but Ive always let it dry out again by accident.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard of sphagnum surviving frost? I have and s. purpurea that came with some live sphagnum in its pot and it made it through winter. (The moss)

Im convinced this is the same moss I linked earlier (I know which seller youre talking about) Ive had a lot of it come back to life several times but Ive always let it dry out again by accident.
Interesting! I'm currently using it for ceph leaf pullings. If it come back to life ill set up its own propagation chamber.

Last edited:
Have you ever grown live sphag from that moss (if it's even possible [ie. not sterilized via heat or other means])? If so, got any pics of it?

Better Gro sphagnum comes from Chile, is very easy to revive, and many people do. That particular species tends to have very long skinny "leaves" (I'm really not sure what the proper term is.) Spagmoss comes from New Zealand, and is more difficult. I've read that it's supposed to be sterilized, but you still get a few viable grass seeds, and I may have accidentally revived some when rooting Nepenthes cuttings last year. I'm not entirely sure, because it's possible moss spores hitch-hiked on the cuttings. It's been alive on the surface of those pots, but not really growing because of being exposed to 50% humidity. I recently set up container to grow it in so hopefully I'll have a good colony going soon.

How did the peat look like? Was it dark or brown to light brown? Fine or fiberous?

I would say light brown and fine with a few strands of sphagnum left.
I don't have any other peat to compare with, but here is a picture with a close up where you can see some dead sphagnum strands. Kitchen neon light make it appear whiter than it is.

cesQiQC.jpg

That is very coa-rse. Thank you for posting the pics. I guess this is what their Pro-Moss TBK product is like. This almost looks like LFS fibers lightly coated with peat heh. I'll get the tiny remnant of the peat moss I had before and post it later today. Will also compare to the Hoffman peat-moss.

Last edited:
Sunshine Peat Moss grower's grade White is very co****. If you've seen Chilean long fiber sphagnum moss broken up I'm told the texture is similar to that. Unfortunately it a professional product and not sold retail. And finding a distributor or wholesale nursery that carries it can be difficult.

Professional Products -

That is very coa-rse. This almost looks like LFS fibers lightly coated with peat heh.
Ok so maybe co**** then. :)
I will see if I can do a better picture tomorrow with daylight and a ruler for scale, it will be more helpful.

Emc2, nah thats' fine. Your pics were great. Dont worry. It gives everyone an idea of what to expect from that peat. Thank you!

[MENTION=8211]gill_za[/MENTION] too late, pictures were taken before I saw your reply so I will post them anyway.

Pro•Moss Hort (metric scale)
Y1QUoD4.jpg

Last edited:
Co****

Happy Growing, from Dillon!

Lol

Happy Growing, from Dillon!

They do need to re-write the software on the net nanny. Until then, we can laugh whenever someone types co****. :-))

I finally understand why people misspell co**** so often. I've even seen it incorrect on nursery websites, likely because they're used to typing "course" on forums.

That is why I misspell it, type corse. I don't know why the correct spelling, co****, it comes out like that on this site?

Last edited:
Two reasons.

1: the last three letters in the word co**** spells a swear word used in the UK.

2: the program that sensors this site only looks for certain combinations of letters and does not account for the letters around them. Thus, co****.

Last edited:
Yes the ending of the word is used to refer to people's rear ends in the UK. I would think the word filter would have an exception built-in for co**** though.

Back