What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BP Oil Spill: Pensacola Beach, Perdido Bay

35990_725366447667_625743_40954120_992702_n.jpg

Pic above was back in 2009 when I visited. Below is from CNN today....horrible.

Curious about how this would affect the CPs living close to the seashore sites (ie, Tarklin Bayou, Garcon Pt, Apalachicola, etc).

WOW!?! Is it really that serious?!?

Yuck-o. But like I keep saying, it's not a spill. A spill stops after a while, but this just keeps on flowing....

CPs in my opinion, while i do love them very much, should be the least of our concerns right now. right now the news is indicating the great majority of animal mortality comes from birds. however, that's the least of our problems. without a doubt, there will be devastating ramifications to the biodiversity in the gulf coast and perhaps in other oceans as well:

-photosynthetic plankton require sunlight in order to make food, no doubt the oil spill will prevent them from taking their sunlight uptake, and you can bet there will be a massive die off. warming of the water due to increase sunlight absorption will cause them to die as well.
-zooplankton, including fish fry will be the second to be devastated. the gulf coast is a spawning ground for many species of large fish, including tuna and swordfish. most of these large fishes are already reduced in numbers due to slow maturity and excessive fishing. i can only imagine their populations tumulting in the next 5 to 10 years.

if the great majority of marine species depend on these base organisms for food, or use the gulf to carry out their life cycles, a few dead birds, or cp's would be the least of our problems.

sorry the marine biologist inside me came out.

if you are really concerned for CPs in the possibly affected areas, you should probably contact the NASC and see what's their plan of attack.

there is also now the threat of a tropical storm or hurricane developing in the gulf of mexico...just when you thought things were as bad as they could get or nearing it, this comes along....great.

Yeah, my father says that growing up in Corpus, hurricames would blow salt water as much as 50 miles inland.
There's also the hypothesis that the oil well will create the biggest sink hole the world has ever seen.

jack - i wouldnt doubt it...BP done screwed the ocrean man....
starting to wonder if this 2012 stuff isnt so far fetched afterall...maybe not to the extent they are putting it on, or to the same degree, but if crap like this keeps happening...we are screwed.

Screwed!

Yes!
We ARE! (Screwed.) The damage from this is only in the beginning stages, and we are not capable of cleaning it up!

Every cent of BP's profits should go into cleaning up the ENTIRE mess as well as paying those businesses and people who are going to lose their lives/livelihood over this. (BP should be forced to pay for this until every drop of oil is cleaned up...ie: forever!)
If you or I poured even one gallon of oil into the ocean, we would be thrown into prison and people would be screaming and freaking out at our behavior! So why are we allowing BP to get away by calling it an accident and claiming they are doing what they can? You think they are going to take any more responsibility for this than they are forced to? Wake up people!

This situation is NOT over at all, as BP recently removed their "cap" over the "leak" that helped a bit, and now ALL the oil is pouring into the gulf! It is draining thousands and thousands of gallons of oil into the ocean (the gulf) all day and night, while you are sleeping, eating, driving, working, watching tv, playing games and looking at your plants! It is constantly pouring oil into the gulf/ocean, even when we are not thinking about it! Tons!

This "accident" and lack of a plan to deal with it if it ever happens again in the future, is going to cause unforeseen problems for this planet and the environmental balance of the oceans, and every single environmental natural balance that is in any way in contact and in balance with the oceanic one. (One environment is relative and its balance dependent on the next.)
The media is downplaying this and BP is somehow getting things off the net/TV as fast as it appears. Photos of dead and dieing birds, turtles, fish, dolphins, etc. that my wife has seen are being removed removed very quickly, and she is wondering how they can do that. All they keep showing is that pipe spewing clouds of oil out, but aren't showing the real size and extent of the pollution this is causing, as well as all the beaches, wetlands and fish and animals that are being affected.

This is a MAJOR catastrophe! This is NOT going to be cleaned up back to what it was! Not in your lifetime! Don't fool yourself. The Exxon spill in Alaska was not completely cleaned up (research about it, my wife did and it is sad.) and this disaster is many, many times worse!
It is an absolute shame and sin against nature, what we have done to our environment. And even with this "accident", these morons want to continue drilling in the gulf! The pres' wants no drilling (from what I heard) until more "controls" to prevent this from happening again are in place, along with some way of dealing with it if it does! (They still don't even freakin' know what to do about it!) And then some judge or someone over-ruled it because it would put some people out of work! Well, I don't think we (nor the planet) can afford these kind of accidents, and that these people need to find some other job to do if they can't find a way to avoid these mistakes/accidents when doing their job.
How many of these "accidents" are we willing to put up with, before saying "STOP"!

(I remember when the "Loggers" were complaining when there was to be a "stop" on logging old growth Redwood forests. They cried because they had so many generations of loggers in their family, or how daddy di it all his life and would no longer be able to do it! Well, Boo-hoo! Once you cut down all the old growth trees and destroy the "forest environments", you are limited to renewable trees on "tree farms" anyway, so whether it is to stop now or later after all the old growth is gone, what is the difference? You still lose your job and have to find another career anyway!)

I can agree that 2012 is certainly possible, and indeed from what I have seen in the past few years compared to the 30 or 40 before, it is more probable than people think!
We are destroying our environment at an unprecedented rate, and most people are blind to what is happening.

I myself have lost all respect for the so called "educated professionals" and corporate executives who have repeatedly demonstrated their ignorance and obvious self centered greed.

As far as 2012 and our great technologically advanced modern society is concerned, as the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.... but it burned in one!

This planet is in OUR care! We supposedly are the most intelligent life form on this planet, and it is up to us to take care of it!
(Or as someone once told me, [slang term edited for the kiddies]: Don't "poop" where you eat!) DUH!

[Can you tell this subject is upsetting to me? It is actually people's ignorance, and the corporate arrogance and power to do as they please with no accountability that upsets me!]

Good luck all. We are gonna need it!

Growinold: :0o: :clap:

I really could not have said it better myself, i completely understand and agree with you 100% on this situation, BP needs to stop twiddling and sucking their thumbs, and do something.

Paul, that one senator apologized to BP for the government "bending BP over a barrel" and levying fines and demands to stop the leak and clean it up, after all it is only the eco-system... LOL

This is the worst leak in US history, anyone know if it's the worst leak ever? I'm curious to know if they will even ever be able to truly cap it due to the cheaper explosive drilling I've heard they did which shatters the bed rock, they'll no sooner plug the one hole and other will open a little ways off. It'll be like the little dutchboy and the dam.

So the hypothesis loosley repeated, best I can goes like this; The massive pressure spray surging forth has a sandblasting effect from the debris that has also been freed. This erossive force is eating at the core of the pipes 2" thick steel walls alarmingly fast. Once the pipe is eaten through, it's the ocean floor being eroded faster by factor 10 or something. Then the pocket, once exhausted, collapses. There then is a massive influx of water into said cavity, some miles deep, super-heating the water to explosive levels causing the worst tsunami in imagination. THE global killer.

I'm not one for the big FEAR talk and such. This however seems logical and plausible. I pray to all that is holy this is wrong. But, maybe it's time. (sigh) Smoke em if you got em.

LOL! Awesome video!

A moment of silence for those eleven men who were lost in the event?

From what I hear that'd be more than BP gave their families. I've heard they didn't even discuss anything with them, suppose they just cut them the accidental D & D check by mail and that's that.

BP is British.. right? AND they spilled in American Waters... Right? YET, they tell US, as AMERICANS, that we can not go near the oil spill.. for risk of showing how catastrophic this event is. WOW.
My hypothesis is that.. this will change the world.. well, not really a hypothesis.. but it's becoming a known fact..
Another thing is.. I'm pretty sure that this WILL cause CP problems because once it gets through the wetlands and razes them.. Florida's got no more protection against the hurricanes as well..
Yay for halcyonic peace...

We can say goodbye to the gulf coat reef rubble farms and affordable inverts/live rock too.

This whole mess is the reason why drilling in the gulf was a bad idea, that and it reinforces the fact that we need to invest in alternative fuels.

drill_baby_drill_t_shirt-p2357982900537206278gl_325.jpg

drill_here_drill_now_stickers-p217928780811542676qjcl_400.jpg

One of the guys at the MMS had a cake made with one of these slogans on it, AFTER the well blew! LOL

Back