What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got this little terrarium done tonight for my cousin who's 11 and said she wants a Venus Flytrap. I'm gonna grow it for a while until the moss settles and give it to her for her birthday in Feb. I figured in a small enclosed space if she forgets to ever water it the condensation/evaporation should keep it hydrated.

vft1.jpg

vft2.jpg

The soil is 50/50 Shultz APS and Shredded LFS with live sphagnum ontop. The lowest 2" is pure APS to absorb excess water. I'm out of Hydroton otherwise I'd have used that.

Here's a Lowes Nep, I think most people say they turn out to be N. ventricosa, I've never had that one before despite all the other rarer Nep species I've owned. LOL

ventricosa1.jpg

I made a vow not to buy anymore "monster" sized Neps but right off I broke that because I like the giant raff so here's my BE 99
giantraff1.jpg

The following are seed grown babies I got from an awesome TF member. Thanks again man - lemme know if you want any of my trimmings in spring.

N. albomarginata red I've wanted this one since my first Nep collection and he sent me two ! :D
albomarginatared.jpg

N. maxima

maximasg.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

nice plants, i was thinking of doing something like that for my gf's cousin who i got hooked in CP'S. One time at lowes and she went back and got like 50$ in plants haha.

I love the giant wings on the Raff, but that nep is just too big for my growspace. Yours looks very good, as does everything else!

Man if any of my relatives had ever given me a little flytrap terrarium like that I would have just done flips. :)

Awesome!

Everything's looking fantastic! :bigthumpup:

Beautiful plants; thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I checked her bedroom windowsills sun exposure (southern) and it felt pretty cold right by the window so hopefully it will give the plant a sense of seasons with the light and temp variations and survive. In summer she can set it out on the patio with the lid off to catch food.

if any of my relatives had ever given me a little flytrap terrarium like that I would have just done flips
I'm just following the tradition. One of my uncles was a plant nut with a wall full of fluorescent lights and being a kid looking at all his exotics (and his giant hermit crab) is what got me into plants and terrariums. He gave my first Nep when I told him I was thinking of making my old fish tank into a terrarium.

....and when will she be joining TF?

I don't think they let her use the laptop. Her dad is convinced "you kids screw up the computer all the time" even though he doesn't understand how to use it and always calls to ask me how to do such and such (and I'm no computer whiz)... LOL

LOL - where "screw up" means "change things that I don't know how to change back." XD
~Joe

Back