What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bohemian Garnet just won't grow!

Hello guys, I'm a Nepenthes lover, my collection of VTF's is insignificant.
Anyways, I'm a little disapointed because I got a few Bohemian Garnet babies on late 2011, and I was expecting to see something like this http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/prized_Bucket/DSCN4756.jpg
I'm not really into VTF's but I was expecting to have some wonderful plants like those on the internet, but a year and half after what I've got is this:

556042_578664085478638_175919951_n.jpg

560065_578663022145411_916371786_n.jpg

My biggest plant is about a half inch across!

Any suggestions so I can make them grow as those beautiful pictures on the web?

Thank you!

Any perlite in your soil mix? I don't see any, but I did see some perlite in the soil of the link you posted. My guess would be that not enough aeration to the roots is going on with your seedlings.

It could also be a dormancy issue, especially in an environment as warm as Mexico City. Has it experienced iany dormancy since 2011? Flytraps are temperate plants, after all and see cold winters . . .

Nepenthes 101, you're totally right, the soil is 100% peat moss, I'll repot them into a more areation. But they're not seedlings, they're plants from a leaf cutting and the size hasn't really increased.

BigBella: Winter nights in Mexico are pretty cold, around 45~50°F, but days remain kinda warm about 70°F, so maybe they have never had a good dormancy, but as the plants remained pretty small, I didn't consider they should have a serious dormancy until they get bigger, but they never did it ???

Winter nights in Mexico are pretty cold, around 45~50°F, but days remain kinda warm about 70°F, so maybe they have never had a good dormancy, but as the plants remained pretty small, I didn't consider they should have a serious dormancy until they get bigger, but they never did it ???

An acquaintance in Guadalajara puts her plants in the refrigerator in a bag of barely-damp peat from November through mid-February to achieve dormancy; but I do agree that more aeration could also be helpful. Mine are in 2:1 or 3:1 composts of peat to sand . . .

Are they catching plenty of food or are you feeding them? They won't grow without additional nutrition.

I think the soil mix is the problem, I'll change it soon.
And yes, they trap some weird diminute insects.

Thank you guys, I hope I see bigger plants before I get so old :boogie:

The 100% peat mix isn't a serious problem, though they would do better in an airier mix. Bohemian Garnet is a slow grower and just doesn't get all that large. It is especially difficult to grow it to a large size. It tends to divide a lot and stay small. I have gotten my mother plant fairly large, but the following season it divides a lot and returns to a small size.

They don't require to be fed, but they will grow faster and larger if they are fed.

Thank you mmlr38
So what's the secret to make them grow to a large size?

You can also help speed them along with some fertilizer. They are a more tolerant of fertilizers than most people think. I don't fertilize my adult plants at all, but seedlings and young plants can get a real boost with a little fertilizer. Try 1/4 strength foliar spray with an orchid fertilzer or put one ozmocote pelet just below the soil surface close to the plant (though not right next to the plant... maybe 1cm or so to the side).

I use MAXSEA 16-16-16 WATER SOLUBLE SEAWEED + MICRONUTRIENTS FERTILIZER . on my B52s and other vfts, it helps them get pretty big. As with all fertilizer use caution. Mist/foliar feed the plant, dilute it down if need be.

Regards

Hello
I sow vfts seeds in june 2012, and right now my plants are almost adults, 6inches leaves with 1inch traps.
I dont think your problem is the soil. Look like ok for now. Same for light.
The secret is nutrition. I feed my seedlings since the first week. Tiny dryed blood worm pieces for tiny little trap. I feed my plant every 2 week. One touch for closing trap, and gentle tap the trap later, that help sealing trap for enzyme production and digestion.

I feed all my cps with DBW.

Maiden

Last edited:
im not sure bout fly traps but some cultivars do nt produce seeds that are the same as the original plant
many sellers still sell cultivar seed hoping it has a chance to be like the cultivar

im not sure bout fly traps but some cultivars do nt produce seeds that are the same as the original plant
many sellers still sell cultivar seed hoping it has a chance to be like the cultivar

+1

Thanks for your comments. I'll feed my tiny plants.
I didn't get them from seed, I purchased them on Bestcarnivorousplants.

Hello
I sow vfts seeds in june 2012, and right now my plants are almost adults, 6inches leaves with 1inch traps.
I dont think your problem is the soil. Look like ok for now. Same for light.
The secret is nutrition. I feed my seedlings since the first week. Tiny dryed blood worm pieces for tiny little trap. I feed my plant every 2 week. One touch for closing trap, and gentle tap the trap 30mins later with fingers, that help sealing trap for enzyme production and digestion.

I feed all my cps with DBW.

Maiden

Almost adults in undera year? That's a phenomenon. Vfts usually take 3-5 yearsto hit adulthood "maturity".

Yep, seeds sow may 2012, and this video is from yesterday :) i had a germination in 4-5 weeks

I take your words as a compliment Thanks a lot.
I told you, give your plant some azote(insects) each week or so, you will fastfoward the development.

Edit: I will told you my culture conditions:
- In a terrarium at 65-90% RH
- Sunblaster 48" with nanotech reflector.
(sunblasterlighting.com)
- Soil 50%peat moss
25%perlite
25%orchids mix
-Temps 24-28C days
15-19C nights
- one little piece of dryed blood worm each plant, each week.
-And always keep your plants on the dry side.
I water them once a week.(Sometimes less(at 90%RH))
And i skip the first dormancy. They had tropical conditions all winter long.
*Follow this, and you will have big thriving plants.

By the way, i sow sarracenia minor at the same moment. Right now, the seedling are 25cm tall, with 12-15 traps.

You should take my advices, not challenging me. I try to help ya guys with my culture conditions, Its not a obligation for me telling you my methods.

Cheers

Last edited:
To be perfectly clear on this: these are plants grown from seed, and they are now 8 months old from germination?! Forgive me if I am skeptical.

Yep, seeds sow may 2012, and this video is from yesterday :) i had a germination in 4-5 weeks

I take your words as a compliment Thanks a lot.
I told you, give your plant some azote(insects) each week or so, you will fastfoward the development.

Edit: I will told you my culture conditions:
- In a terrarium at 65-90% RH
- Sunblaster 48" with nanotech reflector.
(sunblasterlighting.com)
- Soil 50%peat moss
25%perlite
25%orchids mix
-Temps 24-28C days
15-19C nights
- one little piece of dryed blood worm each plant, each week.
-And always keep your plants on the dry side.
I water them once a week.(Sometimes less(at 90%RH))
And i skip the first dormancy. They had tropical conditions all winter long.
*Follow this, and you will have big thriving plants.

By the way, i sow sarracenia minor at the same moment. Right now, the seedling are 25cm tall, with 12-15 traps.

You should take my advices, not challenging me. I try to help ya guys with my culture conditions, Its not a obligation for me telling you my methods.

Cheers

Hey, Im not saying ur lying. Im actually interesrted to try your methods on some of my seeds because I love dionaea and that is unheard of so you might have come across ideal conditions for them. U did feed them a lot which I am an advocate of always. And ur rh is insanely high. Almost makes me wanna try growing on in a death cube with new media to see how it fares lol

Back