What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Binata mutating into a multifada?

I have a drosera binata that has been growing very well for several months..

In the past couple of weeks, the newest growth has begun to branch into more than the simple 2-pronged fork as it has since I got the plant

The first couple of blades looked odd and irregular... one branch would look normal while the other branch of the fork would start to split into more branches

Each new growth has looked more and more like a multifada than a typical binata... has anyone seen this happen?

Lol. You probably got the "Mixed Varieties". Yes, this is a problem with lack of "semidormancy" that I've had this winter. They're just tired. The leaves are pale right?

The leaves look about the same as they always have..

But I did notice that for about 2 weeks all of the new leaves started to turn black as soon as they began to divide and branch out into the 'T' shape that you expect from a binata

Then, after that 2 week period, there seems to be a new surge in growth. The new leaves initially brach as you would expect (like a 'T') but then one of those branches further bisects into another 'T' while the other branch does not...

So do you think this is due to the plant being exhausted or something?

I think that's pretty typical for D. binata. Mine do the same thing, in particular as they get more mature. At the moment, my 'mama' binata has a majority of leaves with 4 points while all the offspring currently have leaves with two points.

Possibly exhaustion...so as soon as your binata formed normal leaves again it died? and then it had a growth spurt? hmmmm.....

Back