What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betta Breeding '10

...hmm, i don't have a good nest builder.... When should i release the female? he probably has a tiny nest 2cm acrossed or so, but i thought i heard that he will constantly build the nest more through the spawn.

let him build it for 4-5 days then realease the female please show pics of how it looks like

@dustin: even bettas have preferences on how to build nests. maybe im being anthropomorphic but you should try putting him next to a "veteran" bubble nest builder. i've done that, and im my perspective it works. ??? you have him next to the female right? a little visual motivation hahahaha.

well, they are in together they chase eachother around, the male's bubble nest fell apart, but he does often go back to rebuild it as she swims around the tank, i check on the constantely to make sure they aren't being too aggressive. should i take her out, or leave her in the tank? he seems to still be a pretty weak bubble nester he had one that was about a 1.5in square earlier today. I might be taking her out overnight but im not sure.

yeah take her out and if the buble nest fell apart it means its capable to mate ( we know that) but may build the next one stronger

am gona breed mine i have 1 Big tank so they can breed the male is in it to produce th bubble nest ( he is a crwntail betta) and my female crwntailed betta nxt to the mating tank so it can be encouraged!

Awesome, let me know how yours turns out, i'm having a little trouble getting him to build a good nest, hopefully he does it soon.

@dustin: maybe your betta doesnt like to make bubblenests. i'd let the female out, wait for 4 days, and if spawning doesnt occur, take her out. rinse. repeat.

@dustiin mine is just all seperate of the big reptile tank hopefuly it gets better!

yeah i'll try that tomorrow, he builds small ones, but there are a lot of live floating plants, maybe he will somehow manage to use them to his advanatage. i'll keep you all updated

am gona start breeding mine either tommorrow or saturday since i have no school on saturday! but most likely saturday!

well i am breeding them but the girl was eating some bubbles is that normal?

@manzano: I'm not sure, actually when i had her floating in the tank with the male it appeared she was actually blowing bubbles :p, maybe she's hungry? I know my female also liked to play in the bubbles lol

UPDATE!!! :)

i put the female free swimming in the tank with the male, she has been in the tank with the male for about a day, day in a half so far. and now the male has a decent sized bubble nest going, he didn't build one when she was in a floating thing to keep them separated though. I'll keep you updated, finally glad to see he's building a biggish nest

i took my female fish out she was always putting her head down to the floor and eatin the male fish poop lol but she always throw back out and am gona change the males tank tomorrow so i ill mate them somewhere this month

BTW my female is small like probably 1 inch or more but less than 2 inches

hmm, i some how missed the entire spawn? today i noticed a few babies swimming around and was in shock, i removed the parents for recovery. and i also dropped in some microworms. the only thing is i don't see very many. at the most i saw were 2 or 3, but they might be hiding in the plants not sure

a little too late for this now, but....
next time, do in the following order:

1) female first after spawning, male will kill her to protect the nest.
2) male after and ONLY after the fry are free swimming, mean that they are capable of swimming horizontally, not spiraling vertically.

you also had a water level of about 2.5 to 3 inches correct?
-good luck keeping this batch, but if not, good luck on many more to come!

they seem to be ok swimming, finals and the garden must have really messed me up, i'll let you all know how things go, I personally don't expect much from this spawn, just because i only saw a few, might have left the female in too long she might have got some of them.

they seem to be ok swimming, finals and the garden must have really messed me up, i'll let you all know how things go, I personally don't expect much from this spawn, just because i only saw a few, might have left the female in too long she might have got some of them.

it varies from individual to individual. i've had females, who took care of eggs (built bubblenests) and tended to fry ( the eggs somehow got scooped along with the female and were transferred into the recovery tank). then again, i've also had females who ate the eggs as well.

The smaller the tank, the riskier it is for the female. Lots of plants to hide is best for her... or removal.

Back