What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give Away Begonia pteridoides thread. Contest/Giveaway.

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
Yet another contest. I’m getting a bit antsy because I was hoping to have this plant a while ago, and already to have begun propagating it. Instead, I’ve had a mix of bad and good luck.

The good luck: I was lucky to find the plant in the first place. It was only officially described in 2017, as a close relative of Begonia bogneri, which I have a lot of experience growing and propagating (i.e. hundreds of plants). It’s almost identical to B. bogneri, and like it, is a small terrarium Begonia. The main difference is that unlike the grasslike leaves of B. bogneri, those of B. pteridoides are highly branched. It’s amazingly cool.

There are photos in the link:

Like B. bogneri, B. pteridoides is restricted to a small region of Madagascar, in this case a tiny island, Nosy Mangabe. The climate is moist and tropical.

To quote Weatherspark, for the city just 2 km away: “In Maroantsetra, the summers are long, hot, oppressive, and overcast; the winters are comfortable and mostly clear; and it is wet year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 63°F to 88°F and is rarely below 61°F or above 91°F.”

Begonia bogneri is found only about 50 km (30 miles away). These are very similar plants, from nearby locations, and I assume, almost identical climates.

Begonia bogneri grows well at constant room temperature, and again, terrarium conditions.

As I say, I was lucky to find B. pteridoides from a nursery that imports it from Canada, then distributes it in the U.S. I ordered it for their end of March distribution. It arrived March 25th. Unfortunately, it appeared to have been frozen, even though flown from Atlanta on a warm day, and packed in a styrofoam box with a heat pack.

Begonia pteridoides received plant March 25 2023.jpg

I was in shock, as I had wanted to grow it for several years. It was also far more than I had ever paid for a plant. I’m sure some can relate.

I contacted the nursery owner, and he assured me he would send a replacement plant in the late April shipment. April passed with no plant. The updated arrival date is mid May. I’m likely going to aggressively propagate it when I receive the replacement plant. I expect like B. bogneri, each 4 linear inches of leaf cuttings give ten 1cm cuttings, except in this case the branched bits can also be chopped up as cuttings. If it propagates the same as B. bogneri, I should soon have tons of plants.

Both of these species have small tubers, I assume to recover from drought. Note that these plants never come close to experiencing frost. So it’s not an adaptation to cold. I saved the tuber from the frozen B. pteridoides, but had serious doubts it would come back. I assumed the tuber was damaged (killed) as well.

Begonia pteridoides tuber 3:27 1.jpg

I was wrong. More good luck, just 1 week ago:

Begonia pteridoides tuber April 23.jpg

Potted in soil, and given better light, it's starting to grow nicely over the last 6 days:

Begonia pteridoides tuber, 6 days growth.png

So right now I’m waiting for this tuber to grow enough so I can start propagating, and for my replacement plant to arrive. I assume my first cuttings for propagation will come from the new plant.

Regardless, I thought it would be fun to start a contest and giveaway. Here’s the deal. When B. bogneri and B. pteridoides grow, they start with stubby juvenile leaves, then suddenly shift to elongated mature leaves.

This illustrates it for B. bogneri: young plantlets starting to put out mature, longer leaves.

Begonia bogneri plantlets April 2018 .jpg

And for B. pteridoides: among the frozen mostly adult leaves, there is a large juvenile one.

Begonia pteridoides juvenile leaf .jpg

The Contest (finally):

At what number of leaf will the first growth put out a mature leaf? Right now, all 3 growths are at leaf #1. If the next leaf is mature at one (or more) of the growths, that would be an answer of number 2, and so on, 3, 4, 5, etc… Note: that number could be 1, if a mature leaf suddenly emerges from a new position, elsewhere on the tuber.

So the possibilities as to where the first mature emerges are 1, 2, 3, 4…etc. And again, this could happen at any one of the (currently) 3 growth points, or potentially at a new one.

I don’t know if that’s clear. If all three growing points produce one additional juvenile leaf, then one or more of the three next produces a mature leaf, the answer is 3.

So vote for what position (on any growth) you think the first mature leaf will appear. Ties will be broken by the person who correctly predicts the date I receive the replacement plant.

So give a number, 1 or above, and a date.

My guess doesn’t count, of course, but as an example I’ll guess:

2, May 13

The winner gets a propagated Begonia pteridoides plant, after I’m satisfied I have 5 that will make it. This will likely be in 4.5+ months. Winner pays postage.

The winner should probably get something additional, just for figuring this post out…I’ll see what I can do.

Yet another contest. I’m getting a bit antsy because I was hoping to have this plant a while ago, and already to have begun propagating it. Instead, I’ve had a mix of bad and good luck.

The good luck: I was lucky to find the plant in the first place. It was only officially described in 2017, as a close relative of Begonia bogneri, which I have a lot of experience growing and propagating (i.e. hundreds of plants). It’s almost identical to B. bogneri, and like it, is a small terrarium Begonia. The main difference is that unlike the grasslike leaves of B. bogneri, those of B. pteridoides are highly branched. It’s amazingly cool.

There are photos in the link:

Like B. bogneri, B. pteridoides is restricted to a small region of Madagascar, in this case a tiny island, Nosy Mangabe. The climate is moist and tropical.

To quote Weatherspark, for the city just 2 km away: “In Maroantsetra, the summers are long, hot, oppressive, and overcast; the winters are comfortable and mostly clear; and it is wet year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 63°F to 88°F and is rarely below 61°F or above 91°F.”

Begonia bogneri is found only about 50 km (30 miles away). These are very similar plants, from nearby locations, and I assume, almost identical climates.

Begonia bogneri grows well at constant room temperature, and again, terrarium conditions.

As I say, I was lucky to find B. pteridoides from a nursery that imports it from Canada, then distributes it in the U.S. I ordered it for their end of March distribution. It arrived March 25th. Unfortunately, it appeared to have been frozen, even though flown from Atlanta on a warm day, and packed in a styrofoam box with a heat pack.

View attachment 12074

I was in shock, as I had wanted to grow it for several years. It was also far more than I had ever paid for a plant. I’m sure some can relate.

I contacted the nursery owner, and he assured me he would send a replacement plant in the late April shipment. April passed with no plant. The updated arrival date is mid May. I’m likely going to aggressively propagate it when I receive the replacement plant. I expect like B. bogneri, each 4 linear inches of leaf cuttings give ten 1cm cuttings, except in this case the branched bits can also be chopped up as cuttings. If it propagates the same as B. bogneri, I should soon have tons of plants.

Both of these species have small tubers, I assume to recover from drought. Note that these plants never come close to experiencing frost. So it’s not an adaptation to cold. I saved the tuber from the frozen B. pteridoides, but had serious doubts it would come back. I assumed the tuber was damaged (killed) as well.

View attachment 12075

I was wrong. More good luck, just 1 week ago:

View attachment 12076

Potted in soil, and given better light, it's starting to grow nicely over the last 6 days:

View attachment 12077

So right now I’m waiting for this tuber to grow enough so I can start propagating, and for my replacement plant to arrive. I assume my first cuttings for propagation will come from the new plant.

Regardless, I thought it would be fun to start a contest and giveaway. Here’s the deal. When B. bogneri and B. pteridoides grow, they start with stubby juvenile leaves, then suddenly shift to elongated mature leaves.

This illustrates it for B. bogneri: young plantlets starting to put out mature, longer leaves.

View attachment 12078

And for B. pteridoides: among the frozen mostly adult leaves, there is a large juvenile one.

View attachment 12079

The Contest (finally):

At what number of leaf will the first growth put out a mature leaf? Right now, all 3 growths are at leaf #1. If the next leaf is mature at one (or more) of the growths, that would be an answer of number 2, and so on, 3, 4, 5, etc… Note: that number could be 1, if a mature leaf suddenly emerges from a new position, elsewhere on the tuber.

So the possibilities as to where the first mature emerges are 1, 2, 3, 4…etc. And again, this could happen at any one of the (currently) 3 growth points, or potentially at a new one.

I don’t know if that’s clear. If all three growing points produce one additional juvenile leaf, then one or more of the three next produces a mature leaf, the answer is 3.

So vote for what position (on any growth) you think the first mature leaf will appear. Ties will be broken by the person who correctly predicts the date I receive the replacement plant.

So give a number, 1 or above, and a date.

My guess doesn’t count, of course, but as an example I’ll guess:

2, May 13

The winner gets a propagated Begonia pteridoides plant, after I’m satisfied I have 5 that will make it. This will likely be in 4.5+ months. Winner pays postage.

The winner should probably get something additional, just for figuring this post out…I’ll see what I can do.
Super neat, I’ll give it a shot. 2 and 5/17.

Cheers

3, June 13th

This is getting interesting. The second leaf from the biggest growth is emerging. I can't tell yet...it definitely appears more deeply lobed than the first leaf (and the one in blue circled above). Maybe?

Begonia pteridoides, new leaf 5:6:23.jpg

An update, 5/18. That second leaf above has grown, and continues to grow. Meanwhile, A second leaf is expanding on the other main growth, and a third leaf is growing from the growth on the left.

Hopefully numbering everything reduces the confusion.

So the the leaf #2 at the top of the photo appears to have both juvenile and mature characteristics. It will be interesting to see if the other leaf 2 looks even more fully mature, or if that will have to wait of for the leaves #3. The shift seems more gradual than I expected.

Begonia Pteridoides May 18th numbered .jpg

Here's what that looks like today:

Begonia pteridoides from tuber 6:1:23.jpg

The clearly mature leaf on the right is one of the #2 leaves. So Pittsy wins the contest. Now I just need to propagate B. pteridoides...

That's made a lot easier by the fact that I received the replacement plant today, and it's relatively big, and in bud/bloom!:

Begonia pteridoides received 6:1:23.jpg

So I potted it up:

Begonia pteridoides potted 6:1:23.jpg

But first took cuttings:

Raw Begonia pteridoides cuttings 6:1:23.jpg

Chopped up and potted up a few of those (I think about 70):

Begonia pteridoides cuttings 6:1:23.jpg

And here are some of the leftovers:

Begonia pteridoides coin capsule 6:1:23.jpg

So, I'll send one each of those coin cases (with 3 or 4 small cuttings) to two people. Let me know. Plus one for DragonsEye, if there's interest.

I have no idea whether the cuttings in the coin cases will remain viable. I'll keep moist paper towel next to them, and of course I want to send them as soon as possible. That would be a big enough piece to get a plant of B. bogneri. Hopefully that's also true here. Bear in mind that the plant is likely stressed, as it has done a lot of traveling,starting in Canada.

I heard a couple days ago that one of the coin cases containing Drynaria rigidula gametophytes appears to have produced a diploid fern (sporophyte). So hopefully these will work as well.

Back