What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bayer NATRIA insect disease and mite control

Well, somehow in the last couple of weeks, an old nemesis that i rid myself of a couple of years ago has resurfaced.. Spider mites, and in my beloved tank here at my house (thankfully not the major chunk of plants back at my parents) but either way, there are some rather rare and irreplaceable plants at this location... Now, i have Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower which is basically a mix of Merit and Tempo 2, which to my knowledge does not function as a miticide, which is what i need... it worked great on a scale and thrip outbreak last year on sarrs, as well as any other bugs in the vicinity (lol)

But today i picked up some Bayer NATRIA insect disease and mite control spray, that is a sulfur and pyrethrine based insecticide/miticide and claims to work on spider mites, ive heard that both sulfur and pyrethrins are safe on CPs, but my question is if anyone knows for sure if it works, or if anyone has an idea of the inactive ingredients used in this spray, if this does not work, i will have to go up to a friends place who said he would give me enough of this chemical called Avid to used on my plants, which he has used previously and worked miracles... i just dont have 150$ to blow on a small bottle.... (thankfully he offered me some lol)

So no ones got an answer huh? Time to play Russian roulette I guess @_@

I have used Natria before and was successful in treating spider mites on Cephalotus and Nepenthes in the past; but have moved on to Ortho RosePride Insect, Disease and Mite Control. It is a bit easier on the plants . . .

when you mean easier on the plants, what damage have you noticed from this spray?
i would rather have a few dead leaves/pitchers or deformed leaves/pitchers than a dead plant or major infestation on my hands.... but im glad you used it fine on Neps and Cephs, hopefully helis should be an issue either...

Pyrethroids are recommended for mite control and are generally safe for most carnivorous plants. Permethrin being one of the best for spider mites. Sulfur base fungicides are generally safe on most CPs including Cephalotus and Nepenthes. It's always a crap shoot regarding inactive ingredients.

Imidacloprid (Merit) can act as a hormone mimic with some mites and actually stimulate egg production.

Pyrethroids are contact pesticides so you have to cover all the surfaces and nooks and crannies for effective use. This can be difficult with Cephalotus or densely growing or hairy Drosera.

i guess ill just have to be rather rigorous with the NATRIA then, and spray every couple of weeks....

Back