What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Deroplatys Dessicata / Dead Leaf Mantids

Just thought I'd share some pics of some DLM I got this weekend

Have Always Dug On These Guys

DC

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

PS~ I would be willing to trade one for a nice HL Nep(s) of = value to a CCB DLM
Would also be interested in Tityus scorpion Sp. {Serrulatus} or any large centipede Sp.
If anyone is interested
At the moment would prefer Neps over Inverts thought

OMG it's a tiny cute invasion :love:

What is considered equal value, and would you have a M/F pair to trade? My tradeability is rather low at the moment, but I'd be interested to see what the value of these guys is considered to be.

Awesome! I haven't owned any Deroplatys yet.

Soopa, here's a link to a retail mantid site and their entry for D. dessicata: http://www.mantisplace.com/mantisforsale.html#Ddesiccata

Next to maybe a Violin Mantis / Gongylus Gongyloides {Never had any} they are one of the coolest looking mantids
&
I dig on their "Personality" for lack of a better term
They do this cool side to side head bobbing thing & the adults look like a cobra when they rear up

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

What is considered equal value, and would you have a M/F pair to trade? My tradeability is rather low at the moment, but I'd be interested to see what the value of these guys is considered to be.

Sorry, I don't have a pair available / I'm only looking to trade One out
= Value I would say would be a plant that's in the $25 to $30 range

I've got a pair Violins, the male just molted today and he's still about 1/2 the size of the female - same age same foods. She's a real monster! I need to move her to a 20 gallon vertical cos she's pretty much outgrown her 10 gallon. She does a whole side-to-side body dance, I can do it back at her and she keeps doing it or doing it more vigorously - kinda fun! :D

I've read they only get 4" or so but she's over 5" now and not yet on her final instar so she's got at least one or two more molts to go, she's gonna be big. The male is probably 3 1/2 - 4" but his overall body mass is so much smaller than her, he's spindly - she's beefy! :D

Swords ~ What are you feeding them / Flies moths etc.???
They only go for flying pray right???

I used to only feed them blue bottle flies but for the past month or so I've switched to adult crickets and they seem to be doing fine with them, they are definitely a bigger meal than a few flies. In spring/summer/fall wild moths are really enjoyed by the mantids. I tried pupating the wax worms from the pet shop into wax moths but those moths don't move and attract the mantids attention. The Violins don't seem to actively stalk prey but if you have enough plants and twigs in the vivarium the crickets will eventually make their way into a position of being caught and eaten.

Haha, dethcheez, those were my babies. Celeste gave me her female and I mated it with my male. I gave her half of the hatchlings. Be sure to keep them very humid, otherwise they'll have molting issues.

Haha, dethcheez, those were my babies. Celeste gave me her female and I mated it with my male. I gave her half of the hatchlings. Be sure to keep them very humid, otherwise they'll have molting issues.

Cool...
Small World / LOL

They're properly maintained
I've raised them & several other types of mantids in the past
Thanx for the heads up though

Haven't bothered trying to sex them yet
But hopping {if course} that I have a pair

Got any more pics of them? Some of mine are now L3.

Got any more pics of them? Some of mine are now L3.

I'll post some more pics once they do something

They're eating like crazy & are all nice & Fat
But none of them have molted yet

Do you have any other mantids available???
Been out of the hobby for a loooong time
But starting to get back in to it

Back