What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aphids will not go away.

Hi, I have aphids on a venus fly trap and I was told to use rubbing alcohol to kill them.
I did that, only there are still aphids!
I have even submerged the plant in water for a day and still nothing!

I have tried neem oil and nothing.
I'm starting to think that these aphids are like cockroaches, they wont die!

Please help.

I would fill a jar up to the top with water, put the plant in, screw on the lid, and leave it like that for three or four days at least. I had an entire terrarium succumb to aphids and I was able to kill them with this method. Make sure there is no air at the top in case some survive.

I would fill a jar up to the top with water, put the plant in, screw on the lid, and leave it like that for three or four days at least. I had an entire terrarium succumb to aphids and I was able to kill them with this method. Make sure there is no air at the top in case some survive.

plant as in with the soil, or with no soil?

Try putting the vft (pot and all) in a zip locked bag with a flea collar. Just keep it out of the sun!

plant as in with the soil, or with no soil?

For just one plant I would just do it bareroot. If there are a lot of affected plants in one pot I would put the whole pot in water.

i had aphids a long time ago when i used to have terrariums. someone suggested this silly idea of soapy water and it killed em.

Just remember aphids lay eggs, so whatever you do you need to redo it every few weeks for about a month or they will just come back. You need to kill those babies before they grow large enough to lay eggs and start the cycle again.

I'll try the plant in a jar of water trick and see if it will work.... this is gotten me so stressed out. First it was my cape sundews now a venus fly trap.

Stop (a derivative of the word for a cat)-footing around and use a systemic.

The females hatch in spring will be producing live young via parthenogenesis within 5 days. A systemic gets the lot.

Last edited:
What Fred said.

The females hatch in spring will be producing live young via parthenogenesis within 5 days. A systemic gets the lot.

LOL I wanted to reply earlier along the same lines but decided not to stir things up ;) thank you for your post, sir!

whats a systemic?

whats a systemic?

A substance going into the plant sap, thus killing any bug even if you did not spayed them directly and staying active for a long time (~1 month).

Try the Bayer advanced 3 in 1, it works on almost anything (bug, fungus, mother in law), just follow the directions on the bottle. Don't use more than needed it won't work faster or better ;)
You should be able to find it in your local target / walmart too.

...and use a systemic.

My thoughts exactly. Now, never having needed to yet do so, I will ask this Q:
Being that some plants are more sensitive to such things than others, are there any tips from those of you who have used such procedures? Same concentration as for any "typical" plant, for example?

I use a systemic that contains thiacloprid ( Bayer's Provado). It's used at the recommended concentration or it can be bought 'ready mixed'. I have yet to find a carnivorous plant or orchid that it affects detrimentally.
However, I will add my customary rider.
Great care should be taken to not affect beneficial insects, bees primarily. Do not spray on open flowers or anything else really if they are accessible to bees. If using outside please spray in late evening.

Please follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Last edited:
Feeling like a failure, my one minor I got from a friend its bulb rotted and all I have are the roots... this spring/ summer feels terrible for me....

Back