What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using Cakewalk Sonar Studio DAW?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I've setup my virtual synths again but am having trouble figuring out how to get my software synths to show up in Sonar Studio 8.5 by Cakewalk (not such a cake-walk after all) so if you are using this DAW I'd love to hear some tips from you on getting my gear to play nice together.

Thanks! :)

I cant stand cakewalk because, as you said, its no cakewalk lol. I prefer the sony software....much more user friendly.

Tell me about this Sony Software. What is it called, what's it do, does it handle softsynths / VST? etc. got a link for me to investigate? I haven't been into this stuff in years but now I have a PC capable of handling it again.

Tried to run it through Audacity and it records but I can't hear it while recording due to the way I have to rig up the ins and outs.

Same here. I havent been into it in years but the software is called ACID. Its loop based but it does support VST, MIDI and soft synths. I havent used the program since 4...seems theres a 7 out now lol.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidpro

The Vegas Video program can do everything the ACID can except you can professionally edit video also. Its a great program, kind of pricey but worth it IMO. The best video editing software i've ever played around with.

Thanks, I did look up SONY DAW and found Acid Pro 7, I may get it at least the free trial download and play around with it.

I finally figured out how to get SONAR working, at least, SOFAR! Apparently I was selecting the wrong file folder when scanning for VST instruments, finally got all my Native Instruments VSTs to show up in my soft synths listing and got the Axiom 61 midi controller working and shut the irritating metronome off, I hate metronome clicks! Will have to see how hard it'll be to get the M-Audio Mobile Pre USB wired up for a mic / guitars /external instruments and I'll be in business.

I haven't monkeyed with this stuff since I blew up my old computer in 2007 or 2008 using the East West composing soft synths (took a week to install all that stuff). Now I may try and install that again - to see if this PC can handle it! LOL

Good luck with Sonar. You should really get the free trial to the ACID. If you like Sonar I think youll love ACID. I might have several thousand samples if you need any. I'll have to find them but I have a lot.

I'm not the biggest fan of Cakewalk products either. The only one that I thought was really user friendly is an OLD version called cakewalk home studio 9, which I can't use anymore for reasons that will remain unexplained here. I bought one of the newer versions a couple years ago, and it's leaps and bounds more difficult and frustrating to use than the old one. Makes no sense to a simpleton like me, lol. Maybe I should check out some of the products you mentioned.

Of course, I've spent very little time working on music the past couple years, being very occupied with college and all...maybe after I graduate in April

LOL I never expected it to be completely simple but "Preposterously Frustrating" I suppose isn't a good company name either!

Anything I've figured out thus far has required much online googling & youtubing... the user manual is about as worthless as... well a user manual! :lol:

Back