What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
So I ordered two new Nepenthes hybrids last night. I've never owned a hybrid and am only really familiar with the growth habit of bicalcarata

My purchase was very spontaneous but I dont mind! Anyway the hybrids are spectabilis x talangensis and ampullaria x talangensis

I get the concept of highlander or lowlander, but I've never grown plants with mixed genes before so I'm less than certain on how to grow these. Are these hardy genes? Will they exhibit hybrid vigor, or because of the talangensis and spectabilis genes will they retain a slower highland pace?

Terrarium, no terrarium? High level lighting?

Any and all tips to making these beauties happy is very welcome! I'm excited to get some new Neps :)

I've always grown inside a climate controlled chamber so that's what I'd suggest! LOL I can't get Neps to pitcher in my house w/o a chamber, too dark and too dry 20% rh.

If I owned these two I would put both of them in HL conditions, cool breeze of fresh air 24/7, high humidity and brightly lit. A while back some people were saying the amp x talangensis was really a true amp, in which case it could grow alongside your bical if you have that growing in a hot, humid, well lit, environment.

spectabilis x talangensis = highland, spectabilis is very hardy in my experiance, talangensis, not so much....but hopefully hybrid vigour will come out in yours like it has my friends plant.

ampullaria x talangensis = intermediate, when you cross a higland with a lowland, you generally get an intermediate plant since genes from both parents allow it to take a more variable range in temperatures usually, another reason why hybrids sell so well, you dont have to be dead on about conditions half the time lol. i would personally grow them both as intermediate but on the highland side with a night drop to about 60-65

I've got an N. spectabilis x talangensis. I've had it for a little under two months. It just sat for a few weeks and then it put out a big new leaf and now it's working on another one. I've had no new pitchers yet, but it still has one old one on it from when I got it that's partially alive. It's also got some promising new buds where pitchers may inflate in the near future.

Overall, it's a pleasant little plant. I keep it as a windowsill plant, and I haven't had any problems with it. A little slow growing maybe, but I like it.

I don't have an N. ampullaria x talangensis, but from what I've seen it's gorgeous and easy growing. It will probably be accustomed to higher humidity when it arrives, so you may need to slowly acclimate it to lower humidity depending on your growing conditions.

Best of luck with the new plants : )

Some hybrids will heavily favor the characteristics of one of the parents, others will be more of a mixture of the two, and yet others just plain go buck wild.

But I think the common belief is that any hybrid will be more vigorous than either of the parents. Whether it be by a small or large degree depends on the hybrid.

The one exception.... ventricosa x inermis. Just kidding. I can't seem to get this darn thing to pitcher for the life of me.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'll probably either start another growing chamber specifically for the spectabilis x talangensis, or acclimate it to a lighted/sprayed corner of my room, and the ampullaria x talangensis can go in with the bical.

uphwiz, I really hope it is not pure ampullaria! :( Not that I wouldn't mind having an ampullaria, it's just the idea of amp x tang really sounded intriguing.

Can't wait!

uphwiz, I really hope it is not pure ampullaria! :( Not that I wouldn't mind having an ampullaria, it's just the idea of amp x tang really sounded intriguing.

Can't wait!
Im pretty sure its not , i got mine from back2eight, and she also thinks not ,
mine is in the lowland growchamber and is growing like wild fire, new pitcher about every 2 weeks.
the leaves and pitchers underneath are from when the plant came , all the larger leaves have grown since I've had it.
You can click on an image to see a larger shot and again to see still larger.

Do a pic or two of yours if you can,for comparison :0o:

Last edited:
Yeah I'll definitely post pics once they arrive. If I had to guess I'd say your plant isn't pure ampullaria. I've never had one but it sure doesn't resemble the ones I've seen.

Back