What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ancient Seed Project Part 2 Drosophyllum

In addition to my Ancient Drosera Seed Project, I also acquired ~70 Drosophyllum seeds, dated 1996! Several people have told me that they have actually had higher germination rates with older Drosophyllum seed over freshly harvested seed. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

That being said, I finally had time to sew the seeds today! I scarified each seed using a nail file until I could just start to see the white endosperm. Then I placed the seeds on top of a mix consisting of 2 parts growstone (a superior perlite substitute), 1 part peat, 1 part sand, with just a little soil sprinkled over the seeds. In the pictures you can see I used peat pots nestled inside plastic pots to keep the peat pots from falling apart. I have the tray next to my Drosera seeds, under LED lighting and on top of a heating mat. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

6RtshDN.jpg

Last edited:
These should still be just fine. There are many accounts of 10 year old + Drosophyllum seed sprouting with no issues. If you can file off the outer layer and still see white inside, then I'd say these are still as good as the day you got them.

There have also been reports that very old Droso seeds will often sprout without any sort of scarification too....but like you I'd probably do it anyway :)

I know that I will probably have a great germination rate from other people's accounts, but I still thought it would be fun to share this project with everyone! It is fascinating to think about how these plants will be as old as my sister once I get them germinated!

Last edited:
The first (of hopefully many) seeds germinated!

Ge5FWH6.jpg

Last edited:
Back