What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An online plant tracking service?

After a brief discussion on the idea here and some more discussion in the chat, a few of us thought it would be great to have something similar to CP-GrowList available online. A few benefits would be that it would be available for your viewing/editing from anywhere an internet connection is available, easily sharing your grow list with people (if you so chose), and that it would all be held online, so you don't have to worry about losing it.

The problem: None of us, alone, are capable of such a task. We all (and I mean everyone here) have something we can contribute to such an undertaking, but it would have to be a community-driven project. I, personally, have way more webspace and bandwidth than I know what to do with along with unlimited SQL databases, so I'd be more than happy to host it. I can also do graphics work for it. But I'm not a coder by any means. The point is that we'd need people with experience in coding and managing databases to even stand a chance. If anyone's willing to help out, please let us know. So far, the list of interested potential volunteers seems to be me, Soopaman, Lucanidae, and callmemonkey.

This thread isn't so much a recruitment effort, however. This is more meant to get feedback from the community. What do you all think? Do you have ideas? One of the things we chatted about, briefly, was the ability to make it kind of a social thing, where you can openly share your list/database with other users and you can search, for example, "Drosera capensis" and it'll give you a list of other users growing the plant so you can see what theirs looks like. Maybe we can get in-depth with our information and even post the details on how we grow our plants, so it also becomes a sort of massive knowledge base, everyone contributing.

Thoughts? Good idea? Have we fallen out of our trees?

Please do share any ideas/criticism/random thoughts/etc you may have!

I'm down, I have a couple of books. Not to mention some classes and friends nearing degrees in the field. We just need to get a general outline of what we want to start out with, and what we want to eventually do with it.

What server OS are you running? What scripting languages? Which SQL?

I love the idea.. i have been searching for something like that which includes growing info (especially since I am starting to work with seeds)..
unfortunately I'm not a coder either and don't have much to offer.

that sounds like an awesome idea. perhaps there is a way to integrate it on this site?

I'd love to see something like this, but I probably can't help much with it. I've already got two jobs as it is and not much free time.

If we do manage to create a web-based system I would suggest that we try to keep it compatible with mobile devices like the iPhone, etc... so you can update and view it on the go. I'd also like a way to upload pics directly from a mobile device, perhaps by having an email dropbox for each account or something?

Yes, having a checkbox to share or not share your collection (or parts of your collection?) sounds cool to me.

What server OS are you running? What scripting languages? Which SQL?
Linux (CentOS or Redhat, can't remember which), not sure where I can find a full list of languages though I suspect all the common ones, and MySQL. If needed, I will happily contact the company and gather any information needed.

A backup feature would definitely be in order. As far as a mobile site, we'd need someone with experience designing them. o_O

I use an excel spreadsheet which works quite well (for my uses at least). Google docs can offer the same thing and actually make it user to share with others and link URLs. Unless I'm looking at this from the wrong angle this sounds like what you guys are looking for...

@NaN, yeah, I know for sure PHP and Perl are supported, as well as CGI. That link looks pretty interesting... time to dig in! Thanks!

EDIT: Hoo boy, I'm already in over my head. I don't even know where to begin. *facepalm*

Last edited:
Back