What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advise on Sundews please...

I bought a Sundew, it's history now...

However I thought about keeping one again...

I see they can take a drop to 5c and no hotter than 85F

I am still unsure why my orginal one died...

How does the dormancy work do they need one?

Being in Zone 8 I am currently TEST the WATER with VFT in the snow last day or so to see and really prove to myself.

I like the rosetted ones... Sundews that is

Thanks Noddy

Last edited:
First, about ten minutes on Google should find you the instructions you're looking for. Second, there are almost two hundred documented species in the genus Drosera - probably more yet to be discovered - so just saying, "My sundew died," tells us absolutely nothing about what you might've done wrong. Finally, there are staggeringly few species of anything that survive at 85 degrees Celsius, and probably none whatsoever among plants, so either you're remembering incorrectly or you've got some really bad information. That's just shy of the temperature at which water boils.
~Joe

Seedjar

I should have put F instead of C, any how the reason for the post as trying to see how easy they are to look after that's all, I had one cold night with the window open which I think zapped it to be honest... yet they like a tempture drop.

Reason why I have come to ask those that know... is that alright!. With you?

Noddy

What kind of sundew?

What kind of sundew was it? There are a lot of different sundews and the different kinds live in many different environments. I don't think anyone can help you if they don't know what kind of sundew it was; some like it cold, some like it warm, some don't like a lot of water and some need tons.
Asking questions is alright - don't get me wrong - but you aren't providing enough information for us to give you an answer. Can you see how that might be aggravating to someone that wants to help?
If you want to succeed with this hobby, you have to learn to pay attention to details. That's why I suggest you go and do your own research. You need to learn the patience to find information on your own, and to discern the important details, so that you can ask answerable questions.
You can't become a skilled grower by just doing whatever you want and then shouting for help when something goes wrong. There's a reason why people write books about growing carnivorous plants, and there's also a reason why other people buy them when they want to learn how to grow carnivorous plants.
~Joe

Back