What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Thank You to my canine companion for his protective instincts

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
May not seem like much but for Cutter it took overcoming his long ingrained fear.

Cutter is lab/corgi cross. Unlike his lab parent Cutter not only won't swim, unless he had no choice, he hates the rain and only accepts baths because of his desire to please and reacts with fear if faced with a deep puddle to cross. When we are in or around the pool he comes with us but lays down far enough away so he doesn't get splashed. I should add that Cutter is over 15 years old, basically deaf, with arthritis and a bad heart.

Enter the grandkids. Molly is 13 months old and can walk and run with the big kids. She was walking on the pool deck, holding Granddad's hand when she managed to slip away and started to run alongside the pool, very close to the edge.

In a split second Cutter was up and between Molly and the pool. He stayed next to her and started to herd her away from the edge. He may not have a lab's love of water but he definitely showed a corgi's ability to herd and a dog's love for his family.

My daughter doesn't want pics of the kids up, unless she posts them but:
Here is the pool, it is just opened in this pic but you can get the idea of the deck layout, etc. They were walking on the wide wooden section.
photobucket-12026-1372986593973.jpg

And this is a pic of Cutter, seen here lying with Captain.
photobucket-14960-1372986882902.jpg

Last edited:
Awwwww! I can't think of better words at the moment, but when I do, I'll post them. (I can usually turn a nice word now and then.)

Awwww, such a good doggy! :-D

wonderful ,i just love hearing this kind of thing,good on you cutter,they seem to know when people need help:-D

Back