What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a tale of two peppers....

Seeds from two different sources, both supposedly Bhut Jolokia, both started same time and grown under same conditions...

Example one:
Seeds from Jamie in Hawaii, highly regarded source
http://www.thehottestpepper.com/index.html
Germination speed was very slow and seedlings did not want to grow well, very termpermental when young.

Image taken today:
bhut_ha.jpg

Example two:
Seeds from a great sounding Ebay source
http://cgi.ebay.com/NAGA-JOLOKIA-BHUT-DORSET-CHILI-15-seeds-ghost-pepper-/220814811984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336996a350
Germination speed was fast with strong seedling growth.

Image taken today:
bhut_ta.jpg

(pretty obvious these are not the same species IMHO)

Quote from the Chile Pepper Institiute at New Mexico State University:

"SPECIAL BHUT JOLOKIA TIPS
Please read the how to start your seeds publication which is included in every seed order as well
as on our website, very carefully and closely follow the directions.
Bhut Jolokia require soil temperatures to be between 80 and 90 degrees F for proper
germination. You may need to supply bottom heat with the aid of a propagation mat.
Soil must be kept moderately moist, never being allowed to completely dry out and never
allowed to become soggy. This will destroy the embryo in the seed and they will not germinate.
The Bhut Jolokia can take up to 36 days just to germinate and sometimes germinate 70 days after
planting and have a very long growing period, up to 160 days after transplanting before any
harvest.
The Bhut Jolokia is an interspecific hybrid, meaning it is a cross between two species, due to this
it has a very hard time self-pollinating. For better pod development grow a habanero plant next
to the Bhut Jolokia, if your plants are indoors you will have to manually transfer pollen with a
soft paint brush. It is typical for the first set of flowers to drop from the plant and not produce
any pods, be patient, pods will eventually start to develop.
The Bhut Jolokia is extremely hard to grow and we do not recommend it for the novice
grower/gardener."

Conclusion..... one of the two is likely not Bhut Jolokia :nono:
Can you guess which one?

LOL

The first is....I've seen the plants in person and they look and behave like the first plant.

"The Bhut Jolokia is an interspecific hybrid, meaning it is a cross between two species".

I know a lot of common garden plants are the result hybridization, and can only be propagated by repeating the cross, as the seed doesn't come "true"...
however I also know that at times when a cross is made, many of the "children" will look different from each other. That being the case, I would say there is actually a possibility that both plants (or neither!) is the real Bhut Jolokia.

Eh, its late, & they both look like some kind of pepper to me! :-D

I suppose I could check with the panel... :blush:
Kitty Carlisle, Bill Cullen, Peggy Cass, Gene Rayburn, Bud Collyer, Tom Poston...
but what the hey, I figure you will "tell the truth" soon enough!

Paulllllllllllllllll

hey old friend....

ahhh i guess they both may be or may not be.... hmmmmm so in this case its a matter of maintaining desired traits then.

but even so, based upon the germination, viability of seedlings, appearance.... I would have to say the second example is further away from the accepted norm for the species

How are yours doing btw?
How is the Heli doing for you?

I really wish I had started a month earlier..... ugh

:p

The second plant looks a lot more like a jalapeno plant to me.

Butch, don't rub your eyes any time soon . . .

Second one, if labeled correctly, is a Naga Jolokia. Not a BHUT Jolokia. The Naga Jolokia is an Indian PC-1 pepper. Will not produce the nasty bumpy pimply pods that you are seeking. It is going to produce pods that look like a Thai Chilie. Like these below.

Not my picture

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/jarvass/111.jpg

This is a true Bhut, from my stock.

SDC10892.jpg

CIMG0042.jpg

jolokia

In the ebay link you provided for the second pepper it leads to the ebay page and it does state NAGA JOLOKIA BHUT DORSET CHILI. I've got bhut jolokia and some peter peppers on a heat mat now for 9 days and they're just starting to germinate. I'll compare my plant to yours when it finally starts to grow.

all this talks got me itchin to see what my butch t's turn out..... Got 5 out of 8 growing from seed so far....

Butch, millworkman, did it take long for those specimens to reach that size? From what I've read, these super hots in general grow fairly fast from seed.....

Nice plants nonetheless, interesting though how they've progressed and turned out....

thanks for the info Mill, great looking peppers :)

NJ, you're getting an awfully late start mate.... greenhouse?

Greg,

The first example was very slow to germinate, and then slow growing till it got good and hot outside. It really seems to thrive in the heat.

The second example was practically a weed.... no problems whatsoever, and germinated in a matter of days.

I guess it depends greatly on the species/seed stock

Gotcha. yeah I've read the extreme heats really helps, especially towards how hot the peppers are. Coincidence?? I think not...

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Did anything specific make you not go with Luke at the Hippy Seed Co when looking to aquire these seeds?

hehehehe luke at the hippy seed company...
not really, I saw Jamie's video on youtube.... and did a search on ebay for the other
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1tRq8ExAHzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Next time Im going with the university of new mexico's online store, but they have a couple varieties Id like to try

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

I feel the laughs. Good guy though. What a BBQ sauce! And amazed how I got my order in under a week coming from Australia.

Nice link, I hadn't come across those folks in NM prior...

Love the video, I had seen it awhile ago but it's always good to see it again. I've got my peppers in a heated greenhouse that I can grow in all year. I've grown peter peppers before but this is my first go at bhut.

Here are some yellow bhuts that I am currently growing. :) The plant structure looks just like your second pic butch. These are going to be nice and tasty.

DSCN0760.jpg

DSCN0758.jpg

oh man... :)

When did you start yours?

I started germination on these in the middle of Feb! As soon as I got my room dialed in I put them in there alongside my CP's and let them rock out under the lights until we started getting all that hot weather at the beginning of May. From there I transitioned them outside and segregated them by themselves. (for seed production) There they have been cruising along enjoying this dry and hot summer!

I will have plenty of pods to send to you this year if you would like to give em a go ;)

I just had a peek at mine and woohoo, Ive got beau-coup fruit.... largest Bhut is about 1.5 inches and all ugly and gnarly looking....
The Hawaiian plant's fruit is looking right as right can be.

The Thai looking plant has ummm Thai looking peppers, long skinny things LOL

But both are full of fuit :)

cool....I'll let you know, but I may not need any :)

Jamie's website mentions cutting them back and bringing them in for the winter since they are perrenials... wonder how well this works

wierd....I was reading up on how to overwinter my bhuts on a web page last night as well! I opted for another plan. I am going to repot in a 5 gallon bucket and throw a 400 watt hps on them. See if they power through with fruit.

oh he said put them under lights as well....

wonder how cuttings would do.... hmmm

Back