What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Flower?

Hey guys, well was looking at the collection today and noticed what I thought to be a pitcher but something different on my H. heterodoxa x minor.
100_1997.jpg

100_1998.jpg

100_2000.jpg

New pitcher.
100_1999.jpg

So...is it a flower?
Thanks for any help.

Hey man,

Yep that sure does look like a flower. It definitely aint a pitcher. :banana2:

Can I ask what the conditions you have your plant in are?

-Ben

Yo Ben, my conditions are 85% humidity during the day and high 90's at night. Temps are high 70's during the day and low 60's at night. Well I dont know much about heli flowers... I know it takes skill to get the pollen.

Hey guys, well was looking at the collection today and noticed what I thought to be a pitcher but something different on my H. heterodoxa x minor.
So...is it a flower?
Thanks for any help.

Yes, you have a flower on hand and there should be others soon enough on the same scape! Congratulations and it is likely to send up a couple more. Mine have also been flowering a bit later this year year than in 2007 . . .

Congrats!

Don't you have to time it just right to pollenate them? Like the stigma isn't receptive when the anthers are ripe?

I hope you get seed.

Yeah me too. Thanks for all the help guys. I have no clue what to do so I guess I will leave it.

Yeah me too. Thanks for all the help guys. I have no clue what to do so I guess I will leave it.

Yeah, leave it. The flowers are particularly cool looking, long-lasting (I had some for months in the past) and won't weaken the plant in any way -- unless you're planning on dividing it soon; in which case, the scapes are commonly removed to hasten rooting and recovery of the divisions . . .

The Savage Garden by D'Amato has some detailed info on how to pollinate Heliamphora, or at least I think so. I haven't seen my book for like over a year; I have no idea where it is.....:headwall:

So yeah if ya have that book on hand, you should probably check it out if you want to bother getting seeds.

-Ben

Just a little update, maybe it will open soon?
100_2068.jpg

Those Heliamphora look really beautiful. They look like sculpted vases.

Pretty

Back